*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's my next upgrade?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
FatsSchindee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What's my next upgrade?

Okay, I'm still pretty new at this brewing thing, but have been learning a bunch, improving my techniques, and even brewed my own first couple of recipes (last two). Now I'm looking to see what I should do/buy/build next...

Here's the down and dirty of my first six months of brewing:
I've done 7 beers (six 5-gal and one 1-gal), 7 ciders, and 1 mead (all 1-gal for cider and mead). The beer is mainly what I'm trying to focus on (not to neglect the cider and mead, but they're more for fun in between beers!). Extract, partial volume (I have 5 gal kettle, so usually do 3.5-4 gal boils with top off) boils (some mini-mashes, which I do think I'll keep doing - I like the versatility and final product better compared to just extract), ice bath cooling, and bottling. First couple fermented in closet, next two in swamp cooler, and then I've finally been using a chest freezer/light-bulb heater with STC-1000 for ferm temp control for my last couple brews. Got a stir plate and flask for yeast starters now.

I'm going to stay extract for a while, mainly for time and equipment concerns (though I am reading about and toying with the idea of doing smaller batch - 1 and/or 3 gal - BIAB all-grain... wouldn't need much more equipment for that, just a small cooler for a MT, I think? see below), so not looking to upgrade to all-grain anytime soon. Also not going to start kegging anytime soon (though I do question that every time I clean and sanitize all my bottles on bottling day!), also for the total cost (kegs and associated equipment, and kegerator) involved.

Here's what I've been thinking for next upgrade:

-O2 bottle and aeration stone (I've been just dumping from kettle into ferm bucket, and shaking and/or using paint mixer with my cordless drill)

-7-8 gal kettle to do full volume boils... but then I'd also probably need:
-turkey fryer/propane burner (only have electric stove now), and/or:
-immersion chiller (and pre-chiller and/or pump for warm TX ground water here)

-3-gal carboy and/or 3-gal cooler (for MT) to do small-batch BIAB

Just want y'all's advice for my next step... which do you think would make the most difference in my beers?

I can get down to pitching temps with the smaller volume boil I'm doing now (3.5, usually) in around 30 min, so I don't think I really need the immersion chiller (even though I'm sure it would still be quicker) unless I up the volume to a full vol boil. This would prob be the most expensive, though, as I'd probable want to get all three (bigger kettle, burner, and IC) at the same time. Or maybe just get the IC first, but that brings me back to the first sentence in this paragraph...

Any other upgrade I've totally overlooked? Thanks for any input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
jonbrews
Recipes 

I am also new to home brewing but an immersion wort chiller is a must. I also do 1 gal brews for experimentation purposes and I can cool the wort in 5 minutes flat with my immersion wort chiller. It takes like $40 at Home Depot to make your own and it saves 25 minutes per brew on the 1 gals

Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
jonbrews
Recipes 

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/...t-chiller.html
I followed this guide and use it every brew

Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 53

So you are in between a wort chiller and full wort boil. This is answered in terms of practicality. Even if you are in excellent physical condition, the consequences of an accident while handling a full kettle of near boiling wort is worth serious consideration. Better to have the means to cool in place first. Safety first because a trip to the burn unit is a bad day.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

you're crazy if you buy anything before a chiller

Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Wort chiller fo sho!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 530

You making starters yet? A quick cheap DIY stirplate and flask is always a good investment.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 687 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
You making starters yet? A quick cheap DIY stirplate and flask is always a good investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatsSchindee
Got a stir plate and flask for yeast starters now.
RTFP

OP: Definitely wort chiller.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A good propane burner would shave a lot of time off your brew day, it takes a long time to boil 3.5gal on a stove top. Then you can move outside and avoid the inevitable messy boil over that gets you banned from brewing in the kitchen, speaking from experience!

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Full boil will be the best thing you can do to improve the quality of your beer.

Quick Reply