Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's the most vigorous/potentially dangerous fermentation you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
GolgiApparatus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's the most vigorous/potentially dangerous fermentation you've had?

I just wrote a couple of days ago about my first basement lager (with an OG of 1.081) that seemed to be fermenting nicely on the next day (Saturday about 1pm). Bubbling was minor but steady....did I mention this was my first lager? I figured all was cool, so I shut out the light for another night of steadily fermenting REM sleep....only to find Sunday morning that my 3 pc. airlock (still intact in one piece) had blown 12 feet accross the room!!! I've had big beers bubble through the airlock, but this was the first total airlock, carboy separation yet. I didn't think, rather incorrectly, that a blow off was necessary with a 6.5 gal carboy.

A lil mopping, washing the outside of the carboy, resanitizing the airlock, and throwing the brew haul straps in the wash, all is good. So long as no creepie crawlies made it into the beer while the airlock was off, I'm not too worried.

My first... TMINUS...3....2....1....Airlock Rocket Launch

So come on....any shattered carboy stories, broken drywall, ruined closet carpet stories out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Still have some brown spots on my kitchen ceiling due to a clogged blowoff tube that blew. (dry hopping in primary, I don't do that anymore) I was in the kitchen when it went off, I actually had a foam gusher of a foot coming out of the carboy.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
reefwreak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My roomate brewed a stout in a 6.5 with just the standard bubbler airlock on it with a bung. It was his first beer ever. There are stains all over the wall in the hallway closet from it still. He flooded the carpet with crap, and soiled some of my other roomate's clothes that were hanging up in there.

I've brewed hefes, pilsners, and brown ale in the same space, same temp, and have never had a problem with standard airlocks or blowoffs. Dunno, guess there was just a different parameter that he didn't account for.

Bottled: Year old Hefewisse
In secondary or aging: LHBS DFH 90 minute on-the-fly-made clone recipe
Next up: Thinking either deepsouth's 60 minute IPA or a nice quick blueberry wheat (Blue Paw clone) to end the summer with

I envy those of you who don't have to make a concerted effort to keep your fermentation vessels under 75 degrees....

Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
GolgiApparatus
Recipes 

I actually put a bung in a carboy that fed into a positive pressure blowoff....the cider exploded from the weak carboy on half a closet of clothes!!!! LOL

Reason: I thought I had a stenographer

Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
devin_mac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/craz...-action-85074/

:-)

Old 10-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I had some weizenbock pretty much explode in my fermentation cabinet. It happened while I was at work so the lid was blown off for hours, yet it didn't get infected. Good times...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

You know, I have NEVER had a blow out.

Back years ago, I did about a dozen batches of ale and lager and never had one.

I have a Red Ale in the ale pail now, had a couple of days of SERIOUS bubbling, but no blow out.

Have I just been lucky?

Quick Reply