What's a good time for d-rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
Just wondering when a good time to d-rest my brew is? 1.052 with 34/70 at an ambient of 52F. It's been in for a week now and bubbling for 5.5 days. Looks like it's starting to slow.

Does this Tuesday sound good?

I don't have a refractometer and am unwilling to take gravity readings because they draw out way too much brew for multiple day readings.

Just wondering when a good time to d-rest my brew is? 1.052 with 34/70 at an ambient of 52F. It's been in for a week now and bubbling for 5.5 days. Looks like it's starting to slow.

Does this Tuesday sound good?

I don't have a refractometer and am unwilling to take gravity readings because they draw out way too much brew for multiple day readings.

I'd do a d-rest now,
When doing lagers you really need to pay attention to gravity when it reaches 75% done it's time to raise temp for the d-rest.

I wouldn't worry abought the little bit of beer lost doing a reading.

I wouldn't worry abought the little bit of beer lost doing a reading.

I do. It's a pain because it draws too much pressure on the air lock, forcing you to remove it sometimes, and it's lost beer man!!! lol

For 20-30$ for a refractometer... I'll be getting one next week. Problem solved

Thanks for the d-rest suggestion. I'll take it out tonight. It likely it at around 75% now

ONE OTHER QUESTION

After the d-rest is it alright if I put it back in to the 52F chamber while I do another lager? Then once that one is finished drop them both to 34F? I only have one temp controlled chamber.

If it's critical that I drop to lagering temps immediately after d-rest I could probably keg the first one and toss it in my main fridge

After the d-rest is it alright if I put it back in to the 52F chamber while I do another lager? Then once that one is finished drop them both to 34F? I only have one temp controlled chamber.

Yes, you should be fine, By then fermentation should be finished
and at that point temp. doesn't really matter that much
and will not harm your beer.

hope it comes out good... :)

Tim

For 20-30$ for a refractometer... I'll be getting one next week. Problem solved

Maybe not. Refractometers don't work well with alcohol and you have to use a converter to come up with a true value. Also, I have both a hydrometer and refractometer and I'm having a hard time getting consistent readings with the refractometer and find myself using the hydrometer anyway to get a more accurate reading.

Maybe not. Refractometers don't work well with alcohol and you have to use a converter to come up with a true value. Also, I have both a hydrometer and refractometer and I'm having a hard time getting consistent readings with the refractometer and find myself using the hydrometer anyway to get a more accurate reading.

Good point!!

From what I've read refractometers are only good for starting gravity readings.

only in a home brew forum could a bunch of guys be posting about "pullling out" with the complete encouragement of the moderators, and the respective Persons Who Must Be Obeyed.

:)

So how do you measure if you want to use a small enough amount that you're not drawing on the airlock?

Not sure what you mean by drawing on the airlock but I have a wine thief and a relatively small hydrometer tube that a good pull from the wine thief fills up. I only ever take 1 gravity reading though after I know fermentation is finished, and I keg so I don't have to worry about bottle bombs anyway. As for the D-rest, I can't speak about lagers, but I always raise the temp of my ales a few degrees after fermentation is about 75% complete or when the kraussen mostly drops.

I sanitize everything and pour the beer back in the fermentor, never had a problem. One of my fermentors has a spigot and I sample out of that when I use that fermentor...works great.

Back