Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's the difference in straining the hops out before fermentation and leaving them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
NitrouStang96
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What's the difference in straining the hops out before fermentation and leaving them?

What would be the difference between A) if you went through fermentation and clearing leaving the hop pellets in the wort, and B) straining them out first?

Also, What is the point of adding hops at flame out only to strain them out 2 minutes later when pouring the wort into the fermenter?

Last question - will there be any difference in A) using a grain bag to corral the hop pellets in the boil, and B) just dumping them into the boil and straining them later?

Thanks for putting up with the noobiness!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Well, you won't harm your fermentation at all by leaving the hops in there. They will just sink to the bottom.

You add hops at flame out to get aroma and flavor out of them but not bitterness. My wort actually stays hot for a while until my chiller cools it enough to pour into the fermenter- it's probably 20 minutes or so.

You can use a hops bag if you want. Just remember to pack them in LOOSELY so they can move freely. If you pack them in tightly, your hops utilization will suffer. Some people use the hops bags, but I never have. It's just a matter of preference.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what she said.

also, how is it that you have 269 posts and not have an answer to these questions? what the hell have you been talking about!?! not judging, just wondering.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Dinbin

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I strain my hops out. When I first started to brew I would leave the hops in the wort. That is until I had a gnarly ferment and the hops clogged my bubbler. I don't see much use for leaving them in the wort since we have already boiled or steeped out their usefulness. But eother method is acceptable.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky... Try to take over the world!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #5
Benny Blanco

Recipes 

I usually strain the hops out, but with my last batch I left them in. Shouldn't have done that.

I'm used to filling up my fermenter to just under 5.5 gallons to compensate for loss and get about 50 beers after I rack to secondary and all that. With all the hops in my fermenter, my trub bed is 3 times as big as it normally is so I will probably only get 40 beers at most because the trub is taking up wort space.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Each addition timing results in a different extraction and boil off. A flame out add will give you oils that require high temperatures to extract, but would boil off very quickly.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I just started not using a hopsack and just pitching them in and straining after. Actually on Saturday I tried something that I read about here...rehydrating the hops pellets (using some of the heating wort). And adding the gunk into the pot...I don't know whter or not it improves utilization...but damn it smelled good, and there were no problems with hotbreak or even a major foamup when they got added...In fact there was very little "scum" of any type on the top of the pot.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply