Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > whats the difference between cold crashing and putting kegged beer in the fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default whats the difference between cold crashing and putting kegged beer in the fridge

so i've been reading about cold crashing and i dont really get it. yes, you put the primary in the fridge so the yeast falls for clear beer.

some say do it in the primary, some say secondary. whats the difference, wont the yeast still fall?

i dont think i've cold crashed, but i might have.

i keg from my primary and let it sit for a couple weeks inder pressure to carb and condition. then it goes into the fridge under the serving pressure for a week, then i pour the first beer after that. is this cold crashing, or should i do it before i keg?

one more question, i plan on building a big stainless fermenter. this wont fit in the fridge, how do i cold crash it?

5 gal secondaries?
in kegs?

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

I cold crash for a few days before I keg just so that the sediment doesn't end up in the fermenter. I'm not one for nitpicking so I'd say your method is fine.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I always transfer to keg and then throw it in the fridge. That's cold crashing as far as I'm concerned. In a couple of days it's clean if I come from the secondary. If I come from the primary it takes at least a week.

That's all that I do.

What's tappening? :D

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it confused me a little, i was under the impression that if you get beer cold, then warm again it will skunk. someone told me this wasnt true, but wouldnt cold crashing then letting the beer age let it get warm again?

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Jared311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you cold crash is a keg, won't the first few pints have a lot of sediment?

Sláinte,
Jared311

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would think that when you cold crash the keg, you leave it cold until you drink the cold beer. The first few glasses will not be clear. This is what iv been doing.

I cold crash down cellar over by the bulk head. Its really cold down there in the winter.

Ingredients waiting to be brewed: nothing
Primary:
Kegged: half of something from last Spring

Old 02-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Eastside Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Different yeasts flocculate out differently, some yeasts stay in suspension, others fall cleanly out. Cold crashing in either the primary or the secondary works fine, as long as the yeast have had time to work and then clean up after themselves. I don't secondary anymore, I do everything right in the primary. Adding Gelatin can help fine as well. I like to get as clean as possible into serving tanks.

Eastside

Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4714 Times on 4366 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastside Brewer View Post
Different yeasts flocculate out differently, some yeasts stay in suspension, others fall cleanly out. Cold crashing in either the primary or the secondary works fine, as long as the yeast have had time to work and then clean up after themselves. I don't secondary anymore, I do everything right in the primary. Adding Gelatin can help fine as well. I like to get as clean as possible into serving tanks.

Eastside
Ha. I have been toiling with the the idea of adding gelatin to an extended primary to ensure clarity but, since i had done multi step protein rests I began to convince myself it won't be necessary. You have caused me to re-think this. Blast you.

I always considered cold crashing as taking the beer to near freezing as opposed to just taking it to serving temp.............

Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about using the keg as the primary. That first glass of beer is going to be tough to get down. Ever have a tasty glass of trub? mmmmmmm

Ingredients waiting to be brewed: nothing
Primary:

Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't keg, but if I did I would still cold crash in the primary then transfer. The idea is to get the beer as clear as possible before going into the serving vessel, whatever that might be.

Quick Reply