Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's the deal with late Malt additions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
TyGuy716
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 25

Default What's the deal with late Malt additions?

Okay so recently I noticed people talking about adding malt near the end or after the boil of their brews.

I'm a partial-grain brewer and usually after steeping I get my brew up to boil, remove flame, add in ALL my malt extract, then boil for 60 mins (adding in hop additions when planned).

I can see how late additions can prevent scorching the malt, but generally speaking I'm stirring the entire boil and haven't noticed any scorched flavors. I have however had beers come out darker than anticipated.

Are there any other benefits to adding malt late to the boil or post boil besides preventing scorching? If I do make late malt additions should I be worried about infections? (specifically when adding post-boil).

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

It makes for lighter color & cleaner flavor. This means no extract twang & intended flavor of the recipe/kit without caramelization. Also known as mailard reactions. Not so much for preventing scortching.
And don't worry about infections. At flame out,the wort is still boiling hot when you stir in your late extract additions. and since pasteurization happens about 162F & only takes a few seconds,it's safe to do. I cover the BK & let it steep for 15 minutes. It pasteurizes & then allows the wort to cool slightly. Then into the ice bath,wort chiller,whatever.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
TyGuy716
Recipes 

My brother and I brew IPA's a decent amount.

Sounds like late malt additions would be beneficial to our final product.
Should the boil just be the steeped wort up until flameout and then add in the malt extract all at once? Or should it be broken up like hop additions?

Also, afterthought, would the malt be too clumped together making it difficult for the yeast to eat?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyGuy716 View Post
My brother and I brew IPA's a decent amount.

Sounds like late malt additions would be beneficial to our final product.
Should the boil just be the steeped wort up until flameout and then add in the malt extract all at once? Or should it be broken up like hop additions?

Also, afterthought, would the malt be too clumped together making it difficult for the yeast to eat?
I liked adding all the extract at the end. I believe it is also pasteurized in the jug so it's a non-issue. I think I've read somewhere that you get a little better hop utilization with the extract added after the boil is done.

If the water is hot enough it will dissolve just fine and you shouldn't have any issues with clumping.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

After steeping my grains. I bring the volume of water up to 3 1/2 gallons "5gal pot atm" I then add 1/4 of my extract. Bring to a boil then hops additions. I add the rest close at flame out. Hops need some malt/wort to work with. I dont think steeping grains do enough.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
TyGuy716
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxBrewer View Post
After steeping my grains. I bring the volume of water up to 3 1/2 gallons "5gal pot atm" I then add 1/4 of my extract. Bring to a boil then hops additions. I add the rest close to flame out. Hops need some malt/wort to work with. I dont think steeping grains do enough.
Okay, interesting. How close to flameout do you add? I was thinking if I try this with my next brew I would add ten minutes before or would the last minute be okay?.

And should I take my pot off the flame when I add? That's how I generally do it when I'm adding all the malt at the very beginning of the boil.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
tackett
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This is what I've been doing.

Steep grains.
Remove grains
Bring to boil
Add ~1lb of malt.
Add bitter hops
Boil 60min
Turn off flame
Add rest of malt and stir
Cool wort.

Bottled - The Fugly Blonde
Gone - accidental Belgian IPA
Hanks Hefeweissen
White Horse Belgian White
Honey habanero cream ale
Cream Stout

Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
pkiller001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Especially if working with IPAs or IIPAs (or any other hop bomb-y sort of thing) be a little cautious using only late malt additions. Alpha acid extraction (thus IBUs) increase as the specific gravity of the wort decreases. Thus, if you are working from a recipe that assumes standard malt extract additions at the beginning of the boil, you may find that you have appreciably increased the bitterness by adding all of your malt at flame out.

By way of example, just using Hopville's online recipe calculator:
a 5 gallon batch, all dry malt extract brew with 6lbs of malt and 1.25 oz of brewers gold hops at 8% AA (0.75 at 60min, 0.25 at 15 min and 0.25 at flame out) gives you 35.1 IBU.
If you change the malt extract from "Mash" to "Late boil," (whatever that means) the IBUs change to 53.6 -- a 150% increase in IBUs.

Granted these calculations make all sorts of assumptions -- my only point is that you need to be a little careful when making this sort of adjustment. Who knows, you might like it better; but this way you'll at least expect the change.

-A

Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
TyGuy716
Recipes 

Sounds like you're saying that late malt additions make a hoppier brew?

Sounds awesome if I'm understanding you correctly.

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I'm going to try this late malt addition this weekend.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

It's been disproven that wort gravity impacts hops utilization, and those calculators are flawed in that respect.

If you actually measure the IBUs, the difference will be negligible. Hops utilization is very complicated, but adding the extract early or late has no effect on the actual IBUs of the beer.

I like the "cleaner" flavor of adding the bulk of the extract at flame out. Not only is the beer lighter in color, but it has far less of a "cooked extract" taste and less maillard reactions (similar to caramelization type flavors).

Quick Reply