Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's the best way to rehydrate yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 02:41 AM   #11
mrfocus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
I know many of us just pitch directly on the wort. Not the best practice, but common.
+1

Unless it has an extremely high O.G.

It may take 2 hours more to start fermenting, but honestly, all the extra work (clean and sanitize measuring cup, boil water, cool water, add yeast, wait, pitch) is too much for me, again, if the O.G. is decent (lower than 1.050).
On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #12
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've only done this once recently,and it sounds like I went too far with my process....I boiled about 1/4 cup of water with maybe a teaspoon of priming sugar. Sterilized a beer mug and when all was cool put the yeast in. A very few minutes later the mug was FULL so I pitched. My brew has been bubbling for 5 days now so I guess it worked ok.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #13
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Put warm tap water in a measuring cup...sprinkle yeast on it...walk away for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour...swirl and pitch in fermenter.
This is what I do...only I boil the tap water first, then let it cool. Otherwise, its just as simple as what Revvy wrote.

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 11-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
Ballistic
Recipes 

Well, I'm starting batch no. 2 tonight and will try re-hydrating the yeast for the first time and will see how it goes.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Ballistic
Recipes 

I put a jug and thermometer in steriliser, then went off to santitise my bucket and other equipment for 10 mins. Then cleaned jug and thermometer with plenty of cold water. Filled jug with hot water and adjust temperature to 30 C with cold water. Drop the dried yeast in and leave while finishing cleaning all of the other equipment and start to mix the wort. After 15 mins, the yeast is frothing, looks good.

Thw following morning I have a brew which over night has frothed to the top of the lid , it must have had a 2 - 3 inch head at one point and still has a shed load of bubbly stuff on top.

Now I may make the decision not to stir the whole bucket up to get the yeast going like I did on my first attempt because firstly, this did not seem to help the process, and secondly, the yeast was just about in liquid form when I put it in so I can't imagine it is sitting on the bottom?

Definitive Bitter Reading before fermenting : 1.044

Quick Reply