Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's the best way to rehydrate yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Raymaker6998
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's the best way to rehydrate yeast?

Hey guys,

Soon im going to make an extract Ale using the Coopers real ale kit how should i go about rehydrating the yeast so that there is prime culture?

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver" - Jack Handy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Put warm tap water in a measuring cup...sprinkle yeast on it...walk away for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour...swirl and pitch in fermenter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

About 15 minutes before I pitch, I just boil some water in a sanitized container then cool down to about 70 degrees. Sprinkle yeast, stir w/ sanitized spoon when it's all hydrated then pour into carboy.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

It can be instructional to look up the manufacturers recommended rehydrating practices. For example, these are the instructions for rehydrating Fermentis SafAle US-05:

"Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to
30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel."

And these are the instructions for rehydrating Nottingham:

"Sprinkle the yeast on the surface of 10 times its weight of clean, sterilized (boiled) water at 30–35°C. Do not use wort, or distilled or reverse osmosis water, as loss in viability will result. DO NOT STIR. Leave undisturbed for 15 minutes, then stir to suspend yeast completely, and leave it for 5 more
minutes at 30–35°C. Then adjust temperature to that of the wort and inoculate without delay."

There aren't many differences, but there are some, including temperature range and whether to stir or not during the first 15-30 minutes.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
LibertyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I combine a turkey baster of warm wort with a cup of tap water in a bowl. Add the dry yeast to this. This sort of gives the dry yeast a jump start.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I know many of us just pitch directly on the wort. Not the best practice, but common.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I always cover the measuring cup I mixed the yeast in with plastic or aluminum wrap while it sits.

Is that overkill?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Boil a cup of water, chill to 90F, sprinkle yeast on top and cover with plastic wrap. 15 minutes later, stir it with a sanitized implement and pour into fermenter. This is rehydrating and not proofing. Do not add any wort. If you do that, you might as well just dry pitch it on to the wort.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
I always cover the measuring cup I mixed the yeast in with plastic or aluminum wrap while it sits.

Is that overkill?
I do the same. With two indoor cats, fruit flys from somewhere, and two sneezing kids, I don't consider it overkill.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use a half cup warm tap water, cover it with plastic wrap and swirl it now and then, then pitch it when it's creamy. Happy yeast make better beer.

Quick Reply