Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's the best, cheapest way of doing this? (sump pump - immersion chiller)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Tankard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's the best, cheapest way of doing this? (sump pump - immersion chiller)

My immersion chiller and tap water can bring my wort from boiling to 82 degrees in about 7-8 minutes. After those 8 minutes, it has a really hard time getting the temperature any lower. I've decided to buy a bucket and a sump pump setup so I can pump ice water through my immersion chiller, which will get the temperature down to 70 or so.

I've been looking at sump pumps at home depot, lowes, and a few other places and the cheapest ones I can find there are around $80. Online I can find them for $40 or so. I have a few questions though: How will I attach the pump to my immersion chiller? Are some of these pumps fitted for regular garden hose adapters? If not, how will I connect it?
Also, I found a few aquarium pumps on Ebay that are submersible and are quite a bit cheaper. Will these work? If so, how will I fit these to the immersion chiller?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
pcolson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just get a prechiller...

Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use one of the drill pumps from Lowes. It's right next to the other pumps, but it's only like $8. As long as you have a good power drill, it will work fine, and it's a lot more efficient than a pre-chiller. I can get down into the 50s in minutes with mine.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
HighPlainsDrifter

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Get a small submersible pond pump from Lowes. They are in the garden section here. Mine cost me 19.95 and has the same size outlet as my tubing. I connected it together with some tubing and hose clamps, Works great!

It took me both hands just to squeeze it

Old 08-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
okstatepike
Recipes 

I have a small ~500gph pump from Home Depot that I picked up for around $30. Submerge it in an ice-bath in a cooler and you can recirculate just fine. The bonus here is you don't waste near as much water by recirculating.

Kegged: None
Drinking: Everything

Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just don't put the first couple gallons of hot output water back into the icebath as it's counterproductive. Collect that for cleanup later. Once the output cools down, go ahead and recirc it back onto the ice. It's more efficient to top off the ice with tap water.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm using a 1/4 HP pump from Harbor Freight ($50). It comes with a 3/4" adapter so it hooks directly up to the chiller.

I have problems with my high water pressure blowing the tube loose on my chiller every few batches, spraying water everywhere. With the pump it isn't a problem. I fill the cooler to the top from the garden hose, pump-n-dump water until the cooler is nearly empty, refill the cooler until it is half full, then recirculate and add the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's a good idea to sweat (solder) a hose barb to chiller for that reason. If not that, at least use compression fittings so that you don't rely on a a hose clamp to keep tubing on such a smooth surface.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It's a good idea to sweat (solder) a hose barb to chiller for that reason. If not that, at least use compression fittings so that you don't rely on a a hose clamp to keep tubing on such a smooth surface.
Hmm, I think I'll give the compression fittings a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you have more hose clamps then use 2 or 3. It will not come off as each one has resistance to overcome.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Quick Reply