Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's the benefit of a spigot on your brew pot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
agusus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's the benefit of a spigot on your brew pot?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 5g brew pot to a 9g one.
Like this one:
http://www.homebrewing.org/ONE-WELD-...t-_p_1683.html

I've brewed 50+ batches, but I'm not really into the whole equipment obsession thing. I try to only buy stuff if I think it's going to improve my beer. So I don't really know the answer to this question: what's the point of a spigot on your brew pot?

What I read here is that it makes it easier to drain your wort into your carboy. But it's already easy to just pour my wort into a funnel on top of my carboy. 4g isn't that heavy, and I don't imagine 5g would be that much worse. Plus pouring through a funnel gets some extra airation. Obviously 10g batches would need a spigot, but I don't plan to ever do 10g batches.

The disadvantage of a spigot is that it's a crevice in your brew pot that is harder to clean. I'd go from a brew pot with all smooth surfaces with no spots for bugs to hide, to one with a nice spot and threaded fittings for bugs to hide in. I could probably clean it relatively easily if I'm careful, but if there's almost no benefit to a spigot it doesn't seem worth even the slightest hassle.

Am I missing something? To drain from a spigot I would have to hook up plastic tubing to it right? (like the tubing I use with my racking cane). So then I need to sanitize tubing on brew day.

If the benefit of a spigot is you can use a false bottom with it to screen out hops, that's not a plus for me because I use hop bags. And it doesn't seem like the spigot will screen out trub, so that's not it either. Any other reasons why I should like a spigot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
PolishStout
Recipes 

I would imagine it would be a benefit for an all grain setup. that way you can mash, drain the water, and sparge. I'm just starting to read into all grain but that's what I'm thinkin

Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I never clean my brewpot outside of a good rinse before and after brewing, all that heat and boiling tends to kill any bugs. I drain through a funnel using the spigot without a hose. I sometimes do 10 gallon batches, I believe this was the initial driving factor I installed a spigot. I've never had an infection from my brewpot.

All that being said, stick with what works for you.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bet it will grow on you. Not hard to clean and comes in handy.You could drain out of it into your funnel and still aerate along the way.

Are you brewing extract or AG? As mentioned before you can make a false bottom for it, but it sounds like you want a brew pot not a mash tun.

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

in the BK, the only advantage of a spigot is that you avoid having to deal with a siphon. If you are not using an immersion chiller (and therefore need to transfer hot liquid), then a spigot is gong to be more reliable and safer. Also, spigots are way easier to clean than siphons... wit a spigot, you just drain your rinse water through it and be done.

Miod you, this is only for a BK... for All-grain brewing, a spigot is almost mandatory on your MLT and HLT.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you get the Jamil whirlpool immersion chiller, the spigot is for attaching a pump to recirculate the hot wort back into the kettle to create a whirlpool action thus cooling faster than a standard immersion chiller.

For cleaning the siphon, I just spray the outside with StarSan and then siphon some StarSan through it. Then it's sanitized.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
agusus
Recipes 

Ok... so I could run off the wort through the spigot straight into a carboy with funnel? How would I do that? The picture shows that the spigot is parallel to the ground - 90 degree angle off the brewpot. Is there some attachment that makes it go down? The website also offers a "hose barb" and "close nipple". What are those?

I don't deal with cleaning a siphon on brewday now anyway, because I don't whirlpool and rack off - the couple times I've tried that, it didn't reduce the amount of trub that got into the carboy.

The benefits for using the pot as a mash tun are interesting, but I use the brew-in-the-bag technique, so this would primarily be a brew pot. Though I might consider using it for mashing if I can find the right sized false bottom.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You would have a hard time using a CFC or Plate Chiller without a spigot. It also allows me to use a false bottom to filter out all the hops and a vast majority of trub.

And I fill my fermenter while sitting in a chair, drinking a beer. That's important stuff.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I can't pick up my 20 gallon kettle to pour through a strainer.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusus View Post
Ok... so I could run off the wort through the spigot straight into a carboy with funnel? How would I do that? The picture shows that the spigot is parallel to the ground - 90 degree angle off the brewpot. Is there some attachment that makes it go down? The website also offers a "hose barb" and "close nipple". What are those?

I don't deal with cleaning a siphon on brewday now anyway, because I don't whirlpool and rack off - the couple times I've tried that, it didn't reduce the amount of trub that got into the carboy.

The benefits for using the pot as a mash tun are interesting, but I use the brew-in-the-bag technique, so this would primarily be a brew pot. Though I might consider using it for mashing if I can find the right sized false bottom.
Gravity. You would have to place the BK up higher than the fermentor. I did this by placing the cooled BK on my kitchen counter and the fermentor on the floor.. the funnel catches the stream that flows from the spigot. A strainer fits perfectly in the funnel too.

A hose barb is a pipe fitting that screws into a threaded fitting on one side and allows a hose to be clamped on to the other side (the barb side of the fitting).

A close nipple is a threaded piece of pipe (about 1 1/2" long) that joins two female pipe fittings together... like a valve to a coupling.. or serves as the part in a weldless spigot (valve) kit that actually goes through the hole in the side of the container and joins the inside pieces to the outside pieces.

Quick Reply