Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > With What You Know Now, What would you do? Spread some wisdom..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Madhaterm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default With What You Know Now, What would you do? Spread some wisdom..

With the knowledge you have now what system would you go with, if any? After you've learned to brew would you still buy a kit?

Lets say your max expenditure is $500.00.

So far my top pick is (with an extra 5 gal keg): http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6877

I want to make a purchase that I won't have to upgrade in the future. Every time I buy something I end up upgraded and upgrading... AND upgrading. I'm sure this hobby won't be any different. Still I want to make a wise first investment. The plastic bucket systems don't seem like the best, but apparently they work.

I'm a serious beer drinker. Favorites beer is Guinness extra stout. I spend a lot of money on beer and am ready to start brewing my own.

Please let me know of any recommendations, or just wisdom you could pass on. Thanks so much. -Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With this hobby you are going to upgrade and upgrade no matter what My sugestion is spend less, get a kit, and add to it as you learn more and find what you like.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I would have;

Started doing All Grain 10 Gallons, gone straight for the plate chiller (therminator) and pump, bypassed the bottles altoghether and kegged.

I'd still do an extract or two now and again, and I still plan to.

Had I done that I could have enough money to buy that new and amazing thingamawhutzit that'll change every aspect of my brewing in an astounding way.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I bought a kit and I'm not tempted by the fancier equipment. I've only spent about $25 so far beyond the kit. I did however have a few leftover parts from when I did it years ago, in particular a second carboy and a bottle washer. Neither of these are big$$$ anyway.

My first batch came out really good, my second and third are coming along nicely. I just don't think it'll be necessary to upgrade. I don't have anyplace to put any big equipment anyhow.

Last edited by zacster; 04-08-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looking back, I should have said screw it went AG from the get-go.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would do a full-boil sooner -- it was the change that yielded the biggest improvements in my beer.

Plus, you'll need that if you want to go AG eventually. I think you may want to do a few extract batches first, just to get the basics of sanitation, brewing, cooling, etc. down before proceeding to bigger things.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The number one thing I would do differently is to buy a minimum of a 10 gallon kettle. I have gone through 3 different pots, each time thinking, this one will do it. I first got a 5 gallon, then a 7.5 gallon (which is barely big enough for a full boil for a 5 gallon batch.)

Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

That kit seems to have the fermentation and serving part covered, but you'll need a kettle, burner and relatively soon a mash tun.

My best advice: bigger really is better. A 40 quart kettle is fine for 5 gallon extract batches, marginal for 5 gallons AG and useless for ten gallon batches. I have 30, 40 and 60 quart kettles. and I don't do ten gallon batches.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

10 gallon pot, Immersion chiller, 10 gallon cooler based mash tun, two 6g better bottles and two 5g better bottles. If you want to bottle, you'll need the capper. If you want to keg, get a two-keg starter kit with picnic faucets and a 5lb tank.

I'd suggest finding someone local that is brewing all grain and go check out what they're using.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster
I bought a kit and I'm not tempted by the fancier equipment. I've only spent about $25 so far beyond the kit. I did however have a few leftover parts from when I did it years ago, in particular a second carboy and a bottle washer. Neither of these are big$$$ anyway.

My first batch came out really good, my second and third are coming along nicely. I just don't think it'll be necessary to upgrade. I don't have anyplace to put any big equipment anyhow.
"I just don't think it'll be necessary to upgrade"
So said I

Quick Reply