Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What volume of sparge water to use? First all-grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Gtrman13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What volume of sparge water to use? First all-grain

I'm just starting my first all-grain right now, woo! I'm doing a half recipe and using the easy stovetop all-grain thread as a guide. Anyway, my mash is going right now and I hit my target temp perfectly. Now I'm wondering how much strike water to use.

Here's what info I can give. 5 lbs of grain is mashing in 1.25 gallons of water currently. Now that it's cut in half, the batch size will be 2.5 gallons. The normal recipe calls for a 3 gallon boil, but I honestly don't know how this should be altered.

Basically what I need to know is how much sparge what I need to use, and what my boil volume should be. Thanks.

Uhhhm...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Easy, you'll get about .75 gallons out of the mash when you remove that grain bag. Dunk that bag into a pot with 2.5 gallons of "sparge" water. You'll start boiling 3.25 gallons and boil down to just over 2.5 after 60 minutes... probably.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
Gtrman13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the timely reply! I followed your instructions and everything seemed to work well. My wort is cooling and I'm about to pitch onto a yeast cake for the first time. Anyway, now that I have the answers I needed, can anyone explain how I can calculate them myself next time?

Uhhhm...

Old 11-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6028 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrman13 View Post
Thanks for the timely reply! I followed your instructions and everything seemed to work well. My wort is cooling and I'm about to pitch onto a yeast cake for the first time. Anyway, now that I have the answers I needed, can anyone explain how I can calculate them myself next time?
You can count on ~0.1 gallons per pound of grain lost to absorbtion (you had 5 lbs of grain and 1.25 gallons water to start - so .5 gallons lost = 0.75 gallons after the mash).

You're loss during the boil will depend on your boil intensity (I usually plan for ~1 gallon/hour)

Quick Reply