Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > At what temperature does bottled beer go bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
syd138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default At what temperature does bottled beer go bad?

I know that your primary should be at about 70 degrees..

but Im worried about my unairconditioned apartment this summer.. sometimes it'll get up to 90 in here.

Im not going to brew at that time.. but what is the risk of the 10+ cases of stuff Ive brewed going bad?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow that's hot! I'm not used to temperatures like that on more than 1 or 2 days a year. I'm not familiar with temperatures that vary as much as yours but I would be looking for somewhere to store my beer, either a friend's basement or a dedicated beer fridge. Having bottles go from 70* up to 90* and anywhere in between at night couldn't be good for them.

Having said that, I'm not speaking from experience here but during the summer I don't brew in my apartment (gets as hot as 80* on some days), nor do I store any beer here other than whatever is in my fridge. Thank god I have a mini fridge that I can fit 60-ish bottles in. I do all my brewing in my girlfriend's basement where it stays 70-72* all year long.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It won't go bad per se, but it certainly might not taste it's best with those kind of temperature swings.

I only have to worry about temps like that for a couple weeks a year, but I did pick up a small window A/C for my brewing room so I can keep it below 70...

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I live in Chicago.. its not like it gets that bad that much.. but guaranteed there will be some days where its close to 90 in my place. Maybe I can just take my favorite beers and put them in the fridge or something.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

My apt has gotten that high during spring weather shifts, when I've been away and could do nothing about it....And my beer has been fine.

The only harm that will most likely happen to your beer is that shelf life will be decreased. But like worries about over oxygenation, most of us consume our beer way before things like that actually develop

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply