Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > at what temp does yeast die?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
53sparks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default at what temp does yeast die?

i have my first batch in the secondary, every thing was going well i did hydro test before i transfered it showed that it was done, then last night my heat quit in the garage where the beer was, the air temp got down to about 50 degrees i didnt have a thermomometer on my carboy but i dont think the beer got that cold it was covered. the garage has in floor radiant heat so ithink that helped, at what temp does the yeast die? i am just concerned about carbonation when i bottle, Thanks Ron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It won't die from cold, just slow down. Just warm it up to room temp before bottling and it will be fine.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Unless it freezes solid yeast does not die from cold, it just goes dormant until it warms back up. Heat will kill the yeast cells but I am not sure what the exact temp is. I am guessing it varies by the yeast.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA
Unless it freezes solid yeast does not die from cold, it just goes dormant until it warms back up. Heat will kill the yeast cells but I am not sure what the exact temp is. I am guessing it varies by the yeast.
Just for future reference and because I am a geek, yeast will be critically injured at 120° and killed off at 140°. Cool will retard it's growth and cold will slow it down to nothing. Yes, you can kill beer yeast with freezing unless you protect it's cells from bursting.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
danbloke2000
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Just for future reference and because I am a geek, yeast will be critically injured at 120° and killed off at 140°. Cool will retard it's growth and cold will slow it down to nothing. Yes, you can kill beer yeast with freezing unless you protect it's cells from bursting.
Phew...so if I accidentally let my beer temp rise to 28/82 it will be OK?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
BurtConnor
Recipes 

28°C/82°F is fine. When baking bread I use water at blood temperature (around 37°C/98°F) to get the most out of the yeast.

Not sure how that sort of temperature would affect beer though. I'm keeping mine at a 'cooler than room temperature' limit.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
danbloke2000
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtConnor View Post
28°C/82°F is fine. When baking bread I use water at blood temperature (around 37°C/98°F) to get the most out of the yeast.

Not sure how that sort of temperature would affect beer though. I'm keeping mine at a 'cooler than room temperature' limit.
mmm. me too. It was never my plan and let's just say there was a miss reading error. I keep mine in an out building which stays just about the right temp usually wih the little heat the freezer in there kicks out. Anyway, in error I miss read something and deceided I needed to put the brew belt on the barel. I had a look this morning and it was at 28°C....

Does anyone know if this might have killed it?

I usually get the airtrap bubbling by now (about day 3)

So, didtch it and start again to be safe? Don't wanna waste by only barrel on a month of undrinkable beer.....

PS. cool forum. I have only just disscovered it!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
BurtConnor
Recipes 

From what I've read, no bubbling doesn't mean no fermentation and I think the general advice is, stick at it. Take a hydrometer reading after a week or so to confirm whether there is activity.

Quick Reply