Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What temp does beer freeze?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynintendo View Post
You might want to get your thermometer checked. For a freezing point of 28°F you would have needed an OG of -2.225°P and, well, that's just not possible.

Either that or your ABV% is considerably higher than you calculated.
I wasn't trying to get the temp down to the nearest decimal point, just stating that the freezing temp of beer is below the freezing point of water.

And for the record the % is correct and thats the temp suggested by Zymurgy where I got the recipe from.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Funny that Zymurgy would suggest a temperature that will freeze the beer.

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
UncleLankyFrank
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default What temp is it?

I have to keep track of several temps when i get a beer down this cold. I don't have an automated temp control system yet, so everything is done manually and tested on water-only batches before subjecting beer to these measures.

Winter in Minnesota is great for lagering, as long as you have a well insulated place to store your beer. Fortunately, our garage is very well insulated, and can maintain a temperature above freezing with just a little oil-filled electric heater I got for $4 at a yard sale.

• I keep the garage at about 40F / 5C
  • I keep the yeast fridge at 35F / 1.5C
  • I keep the lager fridge at about 30-31F / -1C

The problem with Fermometer brand thermometer strips is they only go down to 36F, so while your Pilsner may spend a couple days in the 60-70F range, most of its life is lived off the scale. So i trust my swanky 1970s analog readout, which is surprisingly quick adjusting.
garage.temp.jpg   thing.one.003.jpg   thing.one.004.jpg  

All gone: Old school Alt
Secondary: American Amber
Prepping: Open fermentation Farmhouse Ale

Quick Reply