Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what temp controller? froze my Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
blackls1ttop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default what temp controller? froze my Keg

hello guys, so i go to pour some beer today and got nothing, i looked at the keg and disconnected the coupler and saw some ice under the coupler. i have a Haier Kegorator with a cooling fan installed and a tower cooler. i have been using the factory temp controller, but its time to upgrade to a digital unit. any ideas what temp controllers to purchase? I am ready to purchase the Johnson controls A419 but i dont know if people have had good luck with it or if people on here are using it. anybody have a unit there using and are happy with it? im set on the A419 if it will work properly for a beer kegorator. thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 671 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I use the Johnson controller, and I've been happy with it. Pretty simple to set up.

I did notice last night however that my beer was dispensing 10 degrees warmer than what I had it set for (according to my analog thermometer). I still don't know if that's due to the controller, the way I set the probe, a miscalibrated thermometer, or inefficient cooling in my coffin box/tap housing. A lot of other people seem to be happy with their Johnson controllers though. I know the Rancos are pretty popular too, as well as a couple others.

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.
blackls1ttop Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
blackls1ttop
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
I use the Johnson controller, and I've been happy with it. Pretty simple to set up.

I did notice last night however that my beer was dispensing 10 degrees warmer than what I had it set for (according to my analog thermometer). I still don't know if that's due to the controller, the way I set the probe, a miscalibrated thermometer, or inefficient cooling in my coffin box/tap housing. A lot of other people seem to be happy with their Johnson controllers though. I know the Rancos are pretty popular too, as well as a couple others.

do you have the probe submerged in liquid? im still not sure if i should do that.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackls1ttop

do you have the probe submerged in liquid? im still not sure if i should do that.
I have it suspended in a large mason jar of water on the floor of the kegerator.I don't know if that's the best way to do it.
blackls1ttop Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
devils4ever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just bought (few days ago) the Johnson A419 controller and it seems to be working great. I don't have the probe in water, should I?

"Hush little brewski don't you leak, daddy wants to drink for at least a week." -- Bender of Futurama

"Actually, Dwight, you're right. Alcohol is very very bad...for children. But once you turn 21, it becomes very very good! So scram!" -- Leela

blackls1ttop Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4ever View Post
I don't have the probe in water, should I?
I don't know, honestly. My theory was that air temperature changes a lot faster than liquid temp (or more importantly, the temperature of the beer), so having the temperature probe dangling in the air wouldn't help much when trying to cool the beer. This would also result in the compressor cycling more frequently. I figured by having the probe submerged in liquid, it would read temp changes a bit more gradually, and thus be closer to what the actual beer temp is.
blackls1ttop Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
buzbey
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use the jhonson A419 for my fermenting vessel. I tape the probe to the side of my carboy under a slab of styrofoam. As I really want to know the temp in there, not the temp of the air around it.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
buzbey
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have checked with a thermometer in the carboy to make sure I was getting an accurate reading and it was pretty dang close. 1 degree to half a degree difference at most

Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

It all depends on how reliable you want it to be and if you need simultaneous cooling and heating control capability . These controller in the $50's range are not reliable in my experience and most if not all only control heating or cooling. You can use the alarm output as a second control but it doesn't work well. The good professional grade controllers will run in the $200+ range.

Nilo
http://beertech.blogspot.com

blackls1ttop Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
blackls1ttop
Recipes 

thanks for the input everyone. well my kegorator was around 500 bucks so getting a $200 controller seems a little silly, im not in the brewing stages yet, im just trying to drink tap beer. so the A419 should suit my needs. but im still not sure if i want it in liquid temp or air temp. *EDIT* just bought the A419, 72 bucks on amazon and free 2 day shipping for me. i got the wired unit so i paid a little more.

Quick Reply