Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What style should I try next?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What style should I try next?

I just started brewing. This is my legacy:

Extract stout (flopped)
Extract stout (flopped)
Extract stout (turned out ok)
All-grain Edwort's Pale ale (turned out fantastic)
All-grain Centennial Blonde (looks ok)

So basically I have 3 styles in the fridge. I would like to brew at least one different style so that I can give away 4-pack carriers for Christmas. What's a fairly easy style/recipe that I can have brewed before Christmas, and I won't likely screw up? Are IPA's hard? I've never used liquid yeast or made starters before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I work in Richardson, live in Wylie. Just fired up a brown ale last night after dropping a couple hundred bucks at HomebrewHQ for gear upgrades and ingredients. Seems to be quite a few of us in this neighborhood.

Once this batch clears out of primary, we're going for porters and holiday ales for the next couple months. Eventually, its going to cool off out here and I'd like to have some fall beer ready for it...

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
browndawg
Recipes 

I would go with a brown ale. They seem to be forgiving of noobie mistakes

Just curious what made you move to all grain when your extract beer wasn't turning out good? Seems to me you would wanna master extract brewing before making the leap to AG.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Sorry to sidetrack a little, but: Hows your fermentation control? Typically that is the single aspect of normal brews that has the greatest effect on quality.

If you have proper control (can keep temps in the low 60s), I would suggest a pumpkin ale or brown ale with a clean attenuating yeast (nottingham or US-04, 05).

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Also, IPAs are not hard, they just require more hops and malt and are typically higher gravity than blondes, pales and stouts. If you are using dry yeast, you might want to pitch two packs if your OG is going to be higher than 1.060 or so.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a good temperature-controlled fermentation chamber. I usually ferment at 20C/68F

Quote:
I would suggest a pumpkin ale or brown ale with a clean attenuating yeast (nottingham or US-04, 05).
Do you have a recipe? I'm not sure I know what a brown ale tastes like. Is there a commonly available commercial beer that fits that category (so that I can taste)?

Quote:
Just curious what made you move to all grain when your extract beer wasn't turning out good?
Well, my extract beer wasn't turning out good, so why not try all grain? So far I have a better record with all-grain, and I'm skeptical of kits. My extract brews were flopping because of the cheap yeast that came with the kits, though.
Quote:
I work in Richardson, live in Wylie. Just fired up a brown ale last night after dropping a couple hundred bucks at HomebrewHQ for gear upgrades and ingredients.
What recipe are you using? I buy everything at homebrewHQ (or craigslist) so far. Their prices seem reasonable.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hefeweizen would be my choice.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
completenewbie
Recipes 

My first Stout flopped (over carbed in the bottle), but I do love stouts, so I went with Austin homebrew's double chocolate stout, doubled the chocolate addition, and it's amazing. So if you like stouts (which it seems like you do), I would suggest that. Looks like your early brews (like mine) may have suffered from process issues (bad,bad,ok,great), so your stout issues probably aren't down to the style, but your early brewing and fermenting process?

I did an IPA at the same time as the double chocolate, as easy as any other beer really, came out lovely. Grab a basic IPA recipe, some extra hops for secondary / hop tea / whatever, and start experimenting.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I have a good temperature-controlled fermentation chamber. I usually ferment at 20C/68F

Do you have a recipe? I'm not sure I know what a brown ale tastes like. Is there a commonly available commercial beer that fits that category (so that I can taste)?

Well, my extract beer wasn't turning out good, so why not try all grain? So far I have a better record with all-grain, and I'm skeptical of kits. My extract brews were flopping because of the cheap yeast that came with the kits, though.

What recipe are you using? I buy everything at homebrewHQ (or craigslist) so far. Their prices seem reasonable.
Try these links, lots of fairly simple recipes here. We brewed the Moose Drool clone, best brown ale I've ever had. There's a beer joint/gas station on 544 heading into Murphy, cant remember the name, stocks a bunch of Big Sky.

http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex

http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/96-brown-ale/2154-big-sky-moose-drool-brown-ale-clone

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

You might go to a beer store that lets you make up your own 6 pak and get one bottle of everything they sell ( hey,it's research) taste them and pick the 3 you like most, then google for a recipie (example, google "Hogaarden clone extract recipie") usually you will find a link that leads back to a thread on this forum. Read through and grab the recipie. My first 3 brews were brewers best extract kits, the rest are extract kits I put together. Most newbies start on kits then graduate to making their own kits and eventually (?) AG. The raw ingredients are usually fresher than the ones in the pre packaged kits.

Quick Reply