The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is this stuff in my carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
FTABS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What is this stuff in my carboy?

Hi All,

I've been lurking in the forums here, trying to find an answer to what I could have done to get this result...but since I wanted to sign up for the forum anyway, I thought I might as well post.

The hobby of home brewing kind of came out of left field for me. I was shopping at beers of the world (aka, heaven) here in Rochester, and picked up Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Home Brewing", and then followed that up with Palmer's book.

I decided to do a IPA kit from True Brew for my first beer (extract and came with specialty grains to steep).

I finally took the plunge last Saturday night, followed Palmer's advice pretty much right from the book, and sanitized like a crazy person (used Starsan). I had a few snags, like my filter clogging up in the funnel and me panicking and dumping most of the trub into the carboy, but overall it went well.

I pitched my yeast (kit came with 1 6g pack of Muntons) at about midnight (crazy saturday night...I know), and when I checked about 13 hours later, it was fermenting like mad.

However, there was this greenish-yellowish stuff that I didn't anticipate on the top of the carboy all the way up to the stopper, and what looked like the same on the bottom:

Imageshack - picture002hvz

By Monday night, fermentation had slowed significantly, but the buildup was still there.

I took additional pics tonight:

Imageshack - picture015ddd
Imageshack - picture005hls
Imageshack - picture007acg

Just as a note, the black specks are Oak chips that came with the kit - I steam sanitized them.

The only thing that I can think of is that I shook the carboy after pitching, as Palmer suggests, to aerate the wort...is this yeast that I inadvertently shook onto the top/sides? Could it be related to the fact that I dumped most of the trub in by accident? I'm just taking stabs at it, and I figured, rather than worry, I'll post and let the pros tell me what I did wrong...

Thanks Guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It's normal-- just a collection of trub, hop particles, and yeast. Looks like it was quite an active fermentation!

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Its' called krausen, it is perfectlly normal and necessary in the making of beer.

I call it the house that yeast builds...but really it IS yeast.

It is the foamy, rocky head of yeast that forms at the peak of fermentation.

Towards the end of fermentation it will fall down to the bottom, and as it doest it will pull excess proteins and off flavor chemicals that are the byproducts of fermentation down out of solution so it won't affect the taste of your beer.

Krausen is cool, especially since each one is different.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
It's normal-- just a collection of trub, hop particles, and yeast. Looks like it was quite an active fermentation!

-Steve
The stuff in the middle there is beer, forgot that

Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
FTABS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the replies and advice guys!

This forum is fantastic, I'm looking forward to learning much more from everyone and contributing what I can.

Cheers!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Looks like a beautiful healthy fermentation!

My biggest concern for future baths would be better temprature control. do a search on "Swamp Cooler"

Fermenting some styles above 70 is just fine, but alot of styles of ales do best in the mid to lower 60's

Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looking at the first picture, I would say that your problem is that your fermenter is sideways and somehow glued to a wall.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply