Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
PrivetDriveBrewery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is a starter?

Getting ready to start my second batch in a week and I am using a liquid yeast (as opposed to a dry yeast which I did for my first batch).

I've seen a couple places about using a starter...what is this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Basically a starter is a mini beer that is created to grow up the yeast cells to the proper pitch rate for your beer

Www.yeastcalc.com is a great site to calculate pitch rate and determine what size starter you need or how many steps it will take to get there depending on the gravity of the beer

There is plenty of info on making Sayers via YouTube or on this site with a simple search

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Basically a starter is a mini beer that is created to grow up the yeast cells to the proper pitch rate for your beer

Www.yeastcalc.com is a great site to calculate pitch rate and determine what size starter you need or how many steps it will take to get there depending on the gravity of the beer

There is plenty of info on making Sayers via YouTube or on this site with a simple search
I love making sayers!

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

LovesIPA Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

It's usually recommended to utilize the search function (or better yet, Google search through this site). This topic has been discussed at very great length.

Here's some threads that may help:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-updated-340261/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/yeast-starter-using-dry-yeast-79535/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd

I love making sayers!
Me too!
Drinking and typing on a phone with auto correct is one of my favorite past times

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 9

YouTube is how I learn 95% of the time....

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
PrivetDriveBrewery
Recipes 

Done some research and I feel like I'm getting a better grasp but it brought up a couple more questions.

1) I'm making a recipe kit, should I just take DME from the kit? What about hops? Eventually this "minibeer" is going to be incorporated into my actual wort so will it ruin the flavor? In general, what kind of DME are people using? The DME that matches the style of beer they're preparing?

2) If I'm making a 1L starter, would using a 2 L soda bottle be okay? I don't have a flask. And seems silly but how do you sanitize aluminum foil?

3) I don't have a stirring plate, I can give it a swirl as often as I can but between work and life that'll probably be once or twice each morning, stagnant for 10 hours, and a couple times in the evening. Is this a problem?

4) Decanting? What? You let it go for a couple of days, then refrigerate the day before brewing, take out the day off, pour off liquid (what does this mean) and then allow it to go to room temp? Then I pour the contents into the cooled wort? Did I get this all straight?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

These are pretty basic questions. Sure you researched this? This YouTube video a few posts above this one answers most of these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivetDriveBrewery View Post
1) I'm making a recipe kit, should I just take DME from the kit? What about hops?
Get more DME. Don't steal it from the kit. Don't use hops in a starter.

Quote:
Eventually this "minibeer" is going to be incorporated into my actual wort so will it ruin the flavor?
No, you pour the starter "beer" off and only use the yeast that remains at the bottom of the flask.

Quote:
In general, what kind of DME are people using? The DME that matches the style of beer they're preparing?
Does not matter. I use Extra Light as a rule of thumb, as dark DME starters can throw off the color of lighter beers. But really, it doesn't matter much.

Quote:
2) If I'm making a 1L starter, would using a 2 L soda bottle be okay? I don't have a flask. And seems silly but how do you sanitize aluminum foil?
Sounds fine. Make sure the inside is cleaned well with a percarbonate cleaner like Powdered Brewery Wash or OxiClean if possible. Otherwise, use the hottest water you can handle and mild dish detergent. Rinse, then sanitize the inside with StarSan or Iodophor. To sanitize foil, dunk it in the sanitizer or spray it on with a spray bottle, wait 30 seconds, then use immediately.

Quote:
3) I don't have a stirring plate, I can give it a swirl as often as I can but between work and life that'll probably be once or twice each morning, stagnant for 10 hours, and a couple times in the evening. Is this a problem?
This will still work, but you'll get a lesser utilization of the DME over the same time frame due to reduced gas exchange.

Quote:
4) Decanting? What? You let it go for a couple of days, then refrigerate the day before brewing, take out the day off, pour off liquid (what does this mean) and then allow it to go to room temp? Then I pour the contents into the cooled wort? Did I get this all straight?
After refrigerating the yeast, it should separate into a gelatinous yeast layer at the bottom and a clearish fluid at the top. Pour off almost all of the fluid, leaving the yeast layer in the flask and a small amount of liquid behind. That's decanting. Let the mixture warm for a few hours to room temperature. Sworl the yeast mixture like a madman just before pitching so you don't leave any behind.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
Esmitee Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
PrivetDriveBrewery
Recipes 

Thadius, this was INCREDIBLY helpful. Thank you so much!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
PrivetDriveBrewery
Recipes 

Have another question on this topic (I think I'm close to having a good understanding of starters)

So I am planning to brew on Friday, I want to make my starter tomorrow. That will give it 3 days to go. I'll make it tomorrow, and then refridgerate it Thursday, take out, and decant Friday morning so it's ready to go. Sound good so far?

Here's my question. The yeast I'm using is one of the Wyeast activator packs, its currently refridgerated, if I want to make my starter tomorrow when should I take the Wyeast pack out and pop it? Do I leave it out for a couple hours before I add it to the boiled DME? Thanks!

Quick Reply