What specific gravity should my beer be at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerArchitect54

Reaction score
I brewed a Nut Brown two weeks ago (14-15 Days in Primary).. I racked it over to the secondary but forgot to check the Specific Gravity before I did it.. I am not really sure what it should at anyways... Where can I find info on this or maybe you guys could tell me what I should be shooting for.. Just brewed an IPA and wanna check it before I move it to the secondary.. Thanks

Here is the Nut Brown:

Fermentables
-7.5 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter
-0.25 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate
-0.25 lbs. Dingemans Special B
-0.25 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
-0.25 lbs. Briess Special Roast

Boil Additions
-1 oz. Kent Goldings (60 min)

Yeast
-Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 57-70° F.

Thanks

What was your mash temperature? Nottingham can have pretty high attenuation, especially with a lower mash temp... Assuming your OG was 1.044 (70% brewhouse efficiency from your grain bill), 75% attenuation (which is what I normally assume with Nottingham and a 153* mash), I'm getting a target gravity of 1.011 for your beer.

I did indeed mash at 153.. I measured it when I racked to secondary at about 1.018-1.020.... Will it continue to drop in the secondary to the 1.011 you mentioned???

I did indeed mash at 153.. I measured it when I racked to secondary at about 1.018-1.020.... Will it continue to drop in the secondary to the 1.011 you mentioned???

See, this is why you take gravity readings FIRST. A beer should be finished fermenting in primary before you rack to secondary (if you're even going to rack to secondary...its not exactly 'required').

It will ferment in secondary...producing more sediment (the whole reason to rack is to get it off the sediment), but its going to take a while because you've removed 98% of the yeast.

Back