Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of your ingredient staples

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default What are some of your ingredient staples

What brewing ingredients do you always keep in stock at your home ? types of specialty grains, DME, yeasts, hops,?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Extract: Briess Gold DME.

Grain: Briess 2-row pale malt, Weyermann Vienna, Weyermann Light Munich, Muntons Pale Malt, Simpsons Medium Crystal (55L), Simpsons Chocolate, Simpsons Roasted Barley.

Yeast: Nottingham, US-05, S-04

Hops: Willamette, Hallertau (both pellets). I try to keep Target on hand, but it's impossible to find these days.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Extract: Briess Gold DME.

Grain: Briess 2-row pale malt, Weyermann Vienna, Weyermann Light Munich, Muntons Pale Malt, Simpsons Medium Crystal (55L), Simpsons Chocolate, Simpsons Roasted Barley.

Yeast: Nottingham, US-05, S-04

Hops: Willamette, Hallertau (both pellets). I try to keep Target on hand, but it's impossible to find these days.

Cheers!

Bob
Thanks Bob,
How much or the DME, Grain, Yeast, and Hops? I plan on doing mini mashes for the next few batches if that makes a difference.
Regards

Old 12-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Williamette, american c-hops, and saaz.

US-05. I tried making S-04 a go-to yeast but I don't like it as much as I thought I would. Now I'm stocked with 05 and notty.

I prefer Rahr 2-row (USA) as my base malt, and sometimes I use it for english styles.

I love using chocolate, black patent, and caramel malts.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Thanks Bob,
How much or the DME, Grain, Yeast, and Hops? I plan on doing mini mashes for the next few batches if that makes a difference.
Regards
Let's see if I can remember without referring to ProMash's inventory or taking my lazy ass downstairs.

I've still got about a half-pound of each hops. I got a screaming great deal in bulk, you see.

DME, I keep at least three pounds. Never know when you'll need a pound to make up for a screwed-up mash.

Grain, at least five pounds of pale and a half-pound each of the rest. When I go below a half-pound, I go get another pound.

Yeast, 1 packet of each in my fridge, though there's usually two packets of Nottingham.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 12-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Most people seem to keep a DME of their choice

I also buy big containers of stuff I know I will have to use to save a litlle money. Big botlle of star san, rather than small. A ton of corn sugar. Always way more Irish moss and gelatin finings than I can use in a year. Some emergency fuggles and EKG which I use up and replace with every order to keep them fresher.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Off the top of my head:

1 full 55# box of Extra Light and Wheat DME and 1 box of each to use. Once the last box is opened I order another. I currently also have an opened 50 lb bag of Corn Sugar.

About 15 lbs of assorted grains (for steeping)

4-5 lbs of assorted hops, mostly re-bagged into 1 oz packettes.

(At a minimum) 50 vials of assorted yeasts in at least 10 styles, some new, mostly washed. I still have about a quart of Belgium Wit yeast I have to put into vials...I'll probably only do 3-4 vials and toss the rest.

2 gals of honey.

5 gals Apple Juice.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At least one packet of dried yeast - Nottingham or Safeale-05 just in cast the liquid yeasties do not cooperate when I am ready to pitch.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As far as base malts go, I always have Maris Otter, 2-row and Pils on hand. I buy full sacks of MO and 2-row, and usually 10-20 lbs of Pils at a time. I keep around 5 lbs of crystal and other speciality grain on hand- but only a pound or two of things like roasted barley, black patent, aromatic, etc.

Minimum 3 lbs of DME, mostly for starters and the occasional adjustment to a wonky mash.

On last tally, I have about 6 lbs of hops in stock- American Cs, Golding, Fuggle, Williamette.

Always have 5 or so packs of US-05, US-04 and Nottingham as well, in addition to my washed English, Irish, Scottish and Belgian strains.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I buy bulk bags of Maris Otter, US 2 Row, and German Pils. Then I keep a lot of Vienna, Munich, Carapils, and Crystal 40. For Hops I have about 10 different varieties. All pellets. Yeast S-05 is my stand by dry yeast and I tend to buy liquid the week I need them, if I need them.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply