Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #741
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Fermented with nottingham yeast at almost 80 degrees, best honey porter I've had.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #742
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

One other major mistake I made was back when I was a newb, I had 2 beers fermenting in buckets at the same time. I failed to label them thinking I could just tell the difference. One was a wheat and one was a blonde. My plan was to add apricot puree to the blonde and dry hop the wheat. Well, when fermentation was done and I went to add my secondary additions, I couldn't tell which beer was which so I just guessed. Well, I guessed wrong and I got an apricot wheat and a hoppy blonde ale instead.

The beers still turned out OK, but it was just not what I was shooting for. Needless to say, I label all of my buckets now so I don't make this mistake again!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #743
Brunobearbo
Recipes 

I had two pots of water, one clean boiled top-off water, the other just warm water with an dirty can of malt extract sitting in it to warm it up.

After I was ready to top off my primary, I grabbed the wrong pot of water and dumped it in. I could see all floaties and dust pour into the primary and figured it was toast.

Two weeks later, it was one of the best wheat beers I had ever made.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #744
Rhumbline
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 105

If I were to go professional, I would have to name my brewery the "Brewery of Benign Neglect". I've committed almost all the cardinal sins of brewing, sans sanitation, which I'm AR about.

I have to admit to a laissez faire approach to brewing that in my brief experience has led to some great beers, in spite of myself. my unscientific research leads me to believe that it is rather difficult to mess up a beer.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #745
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumbline View Post
If I were to go professional, I would have to name my brewery the "Brewery of Benign Neglect". I've committed almost all the cardinal sins of brewing, sans sanitation, which I'm AR about.

I have to admit to a laissez faire approach to brewing that in my brief experience has led to some great beers, in spite of myself. my unscientific research leads me to believe that it is rather difficult to mess up a beer.
LOL! I too am anal about the sanitation. But that's about the extent of it when it comes to brewing and I have yet to make a beer that I wouldn't classify as very good to great...

Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #746
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dropped the hydrometer into the cooling wort. It broke on the bottom of the pot, leaving glass and those little lead BBs in the wort. I do BIAB, so I lined my fermenter with the bag, then poured in the wort to strain out the glass and BBs. The beer came out fine, with no sign of glass or BBs in any of the bottles. I dropped the hydrometer because the kids were arguing over something and I dropped it when I reached into my pocket to get a coin to flip to settle the argument. I named that beer "Coin Flip APA".

Dropped my screwdriver into the hot wort while tightening the hose clamp on the immersion chiller. Fished it out with my stirring spoon and hotdog tongs. When I use my tools, all I ever do is wipe them (if they need it), so the screwdriver couldn't have been all that clean.

Then later on the same beer, I lined my fermenter with the BIAB bag as usual (I've taken to doing this to screen out the kettle trub), poured in the cooled wort, dumped in the liquid yeast, then pulled the bag. Enough yeast made it through into the fermenter for a good fermentation.

Screwdriver beer also turned out fine. No infections, etc., and a reasonable FG. Maybe I'll call it "Screwdriver Wit".

Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #747
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Just happened the other day...grabbed the tri-clover connection on the out put of my brew kettle....after it had been boiling for 90 minutes....Ouch. I'm sure my beer is fine though, lol!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #748
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Took off the camlock from by boil kettle to switch pump directions and forgot to close the valve...a liter or two of first runnings went all over my garage floor. Oops

Old 07-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #749
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Forgot to heat up my strike water until the very end of my mash, missed OG, hops were 3% below recipe AA values, thought I underprimed. Netted second place and a 39 from a BJCP judge at a local comp!

Future:Who Knows
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 07-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #750
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 820 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Apparently, if you throw rice hulls onto your false bottom then add your strike water, then add your grains, the rice hills plug up the false bottom and you get a slow sparge and crappy efficiency.

I did that on a recent batch of EdWort's Kolsch and wound up with 1.040 OG. ( Or at least that's what I think happened to slow the sparge and reduce OG by about 10 points) But I wound up with a really, really tasty 4.0 ABV session beer, which is perfect for summer.

Quick Reply