Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #691
TastyWheat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pitched the yeast at way too hot a temperature on my first ever batch. After panic subsided I cooled it all down, and the yeast survived. Had a nice krausen two days later.

Confused Galaxy and Cascade hops, adding the wrong amount of each to the boil. Turned out just fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #692
lovebrewin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pitched yeast at 96F

Still yet to find out if beer is no good or not but I tasted the sg sample I took today and it seems fine!! Lol

Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #693
brewingnoob
Recipes 

My first brew was Irish Stout, i refer to it as my Screwy Skin Stout.

while adjusting my wort chiller clamps i dropped my flathead screwdriver into the wort, and without thinking automatically reached right into the almost-boiling wort with my bare, and un-sanitized, hand to grab the screwdriver.

6 weeks or so in the bottles and this brew is tasting better and better, although i cant recommend the additional two ingredients to others

Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #694
ipopiad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I dropped a floating thermometer in my carboy, shattered all over the bottom. There were bits of broken glass and little steel beads in my beer. I was crushed. I talked to the guy at the LHBS and called the company, and since the red liquid didn't get into it I decided to try to save it. Left about 5" in the bottom when I racked it, kegged and... it was one of the best I've ever brewed. The company said they get this question all the time, the only thing to worry about is the glass.

If we outlaw finger guns, then only outlaws will pretend their fingers are guns.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Primary: None
Secondary/Lagering: None
Kegged: None
On Tap: Bozone Amber (Commercial)

Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #695
lovebrewin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pitched yeast but forgot to add sugar to wort.. Realized about half an hour later. Chucked the sugar in and stirred her up and sweet deal!!

Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #696
Mutt98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Caught myself about 8 bottles in, but realized some of my bottles were not totally clean before ran them through dishwasher sanitation. Just popped a bottle that had some "leftovers" in it. Tasted just like the others. I think int:

Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #697
Smooshieshawn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Super beginner here and I just brewed my first 5gal batch and here are the mistakes I know I've made so far:

-Dropped the thermometer into the hot wart while it was chilling, used metal tongs to get it out of the bottom of the pot (sanitized them first, but not sure how well they were sanitized as it was kind of an "oh ****!" operation)
-Accidentally dipped a unsanitized cup into the chilled wort to take OG.
-Wasnt able to get an OG since the cup wasnt even tall enough to get the hydrometer to float.
-Not sure if I aerated enough before pitching the yeast. I poured from the pot to the fermenting bucket and it foamed up pretty nice, so I assumed that was good enough and pitched the yeast then.

Now I just have to wait a while to see how the batch turns out. Hoping for the best but now I'm worried! :/

Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #698
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooshieshawn View Post
-Wasnt able to get an OG since the cup wasnt even tall enough to get the hydrometer to float.

Now I just have to wait a while to see how the batch turns out. Hoping for the best but now I'm worried! :/
use the tube the hydrometer came in... perfect sample jar.

relax, you made beer. people have been doing it for centuries. long before they knew to sanitize and aerate...

Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #699
Maybenaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead
relax, you made beer. people have been doing it for centuries. long before they knew to sanitize and aerate...
This is what I keep telling myself. They didn't have hydrometers in the Middle Ages. They didn't have Star San in the Middle Ages. They didn't understand the science of fermentation in the Middle Ages. But they still managed to brew beer.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #700
Smooshieshawn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Thats what I was figuring. My hydrometer came in a square plastic thing thats two halves of roughly equal length. I'm going to go pick up a test jar from my LHBS next week so I can at least measure the FG to know when its done fermenting.

It was my first big batch, so I was bound to screw something up. Its all good though, I'm sure it'll be fine. If not, I'll learn from my mistakes and get it right next time.

Quick Reply