Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #521
bscott1011
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I covered the stove, counter, and kitchen floor with hot wort while trying to strain out hops after the bag opened. Clogged the strainer and splashed everywhere. I dont know how much wort was lost, panicked and topped off with water. Took two hours to clean the kitchen and give the dog a bath after she got it all over her paws and muzzle. The beer (brown ale) came out great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #522
cval
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i tried brewing an apa 1.5 months ago... i messed up with the hop additions (i used EKG instead of Perle... and then i used some more Perle... only to found out it was chinook actually). Fast forward three weeks and i'm ready to bottle, i wash my bucket, get my priming sugar, sanitize my autosiphon and start transfering... mother!#%T!" forgot to sanitize my bucket!

it's a pretty good APA to this day and no signs of infection

Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #523
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A few weeks ago I was brewing a smoked porter (with 25% cherry wood smoked malt!) and when I was putting my immersion chiller into the boil I somehow managed to let the braided vinyl tubing slip into the keggle for (I hope only) a few seconds. When I noticed it, I pulled out the tubing and noticed it had turned yellow, but otherwise seemed to be in good shape.

In any case, the beer tastes great and I don't feel like I've been poisoned, so it's all good!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #524
iskuse
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The first batch I ever made was a one gallon all grain wheat beer. the instructions were horrible. I assumed since I had a one gallon pot that I would be good to go, not thinking that there was 4 pounds of grain to go in that pot. I had a boil-over and I ended up splitting the liquid into three pots, I had no strainer so I was pouring it through coffee filters into the carboy. after a day or two in the carboy I siphoned (with my mouth) the beer into a pot so that I could clean the carboy and filter out the sediment. I then syphoned it back into the carboy to finish fermentation. out of one gallon I got only 6 beers. I was nervous that I would kill somebody with this stuff, so I checked to make sure nothing harmful could live in beer. I felt for sure this stuff was going to be horrible so I took it to work and shared it with my co-workers. It actually was pretty good.

One of my other batches, my grain bag caught on fire and the burning part fell into the beer, I quickly scooped it out with my paddle. That beer was also fine.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #525
justabrewin
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just before bottling a Raspberry Wheat (for SWMBO), I poured some raspberry flavoring (I know artificial flavoring... but raspberries out of season and she really wanted some) into the bottling bucket. As I was pouring, SWMBO bumped my arm and waaaaaaay too much went it.

Let it sit for six months in the bottle and it did not turn out too bad. A lot of the artificial chemical taste went away. SWMBO had to wait, but she did bump my arm.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #526
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My cat pissed in it and I told everyone I dry hopped with Simcoe. Nobody knew the difference

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #527
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1028 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Back when doing extract my bro-in-law forgot to buy a muslin bag so we steeped our grains in a 'clean' gym sock from his drawer... beer turned out great nonetheless.

Trying to sink a hopbag for a dryhop (just toss 'em in now) I placed multiple unsanitized 'clean' objects on top of the bag to try to sink in... they all fell in and I reached to the bottom of the primary with my entire arm each time to pull each failed attempt out. Needless to say I'm somewhat impulsive and stubborn but that batch turned out very good as well.

Bottom line is exactly what Revvy said a few years ago: it takes a whole hell of a lot to mess up a batch of beer beyond a drinkable state.

And yes, we used a gym sock. +1 to AG mashing lol

Old 03-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #528
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
My cat pissed in it and I told everyone I dry hopped with Simcoe. Nobody knew the difference
Its because you didnt offer a black light.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #529
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I thought I brewed a bad batch when I jammed my head into the fermenter for a big wiff and BAM!!! the CO2 burnt the heck out of my nose. Poured it out, then read on here that it's normal. That could have been the best batch of beer I have ever made....now I will never know

Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #530
TalkingGoats
Recipes 

Pretty much all of those issues were on the first AG batch except for the bubblegum off flavor and the lighter lol.

I added to this batch when it was down around a gallon in the corny keg by just dumping a 2.5 gallon batch I had in a MR Beer fermenter.

In the corny was a decent guinness clone, and what I added to it was an experiment added using the MR Beer spigot and an unsanitized hop sock.

It was a 7% abv, black rye thing, fermented at 59* with T-58 I had laying around and the hop bill was 4 oz of Amarillo and Columbus lol

I was moving and there was no way I was putting that sticky fermenter in the car.

It was so good, but then again I have never met a beer I haven't liked.

Quick Reply