The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #501
Sardoman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here's another classic "I stuck my whole arm into my cooled wort before pitching the yeast" story.

First time using new brew kettle with a ball lock spigot at the bottom. Brewed as usual, whole hops for bittering, additions of chocolate and spices. With this setup, the last gallon or two requires a siphon from the dip tube to remove, so I have the BK up on the kitchen counter, tubing going from the spigot into the fermentor bucket and start the flow. Takes no time at all for hops and chocolate to stop the flow. I took off my shirt, sprayed my arm and a hop bag down with star san and held the hop bag over the dip tube at the bottom of the BK, sweeping it with my fingers every time something got sucked up against it.

It worked. The beer didn't get contaminated and it tastes great!

Lesson: I now use hop bags in the boil for anything other than pellet hops and small ground spices.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #502
Marlowefire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I set the temp controller on my Johnson to 66 but forgot to unplug the hair dryer I was using to heat my chest freezer. It got to 131F when I went back to pitch the yeast. The heat caused a vacuum/melted the tops of my better bottles in. I siphoned off the one that had been fermenting for a week into the keg (assuming most of the yeast were dead).

No plastic taste or anything. My caribou slobber is delicious. I'm now going to use these BB for cider.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #503
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

I did not know I needed to aerate my wort prior to pitching the yeast, I actually siphoned the beer from kettle to fermenter and it still fermented out just fine.

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #504
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My digital thermometer went a little haywire, so when I thought I was mashing at ~152, it was really about 160* F. I didn't realize the problem until four weeks later, when the FG on this mother-of-all-stuck fermentations was 1.032. I bottled it anyway, and while I don't think it's my best effort, it's not bad and everyone else loves it. So I'm not going to argue with them!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #505
BrewersKaramazov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had the output hose come off my immersion cooler, spraying water into my cooling wort. Pulled the coil out of the wort and reattached the hose while balancing the coil on the edge of my brewpot. Still turned out great

Beer makes me better looking.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #506
brewerwannabe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. You made me feel a ton better. My very first brew is fermenting (Yay, Mr. Beer!), but I have been worried because: A) I had accidentally dropped the yeast packet into the batch and had to fish it out and B) I was worried a bit that the temp wasn't exact enough when I added the yeast. Hopefully it will turn out great...

Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #507
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

I have had some crazy stuff happen in pubs and micros I have worked... very few problems at home though.... However;

I was making an Oktoberfest, second AG brew I had done in my current locale with new mlt I had made, etc. Was brewing on an electric stove, something distracted me and there was a massive boilover. Oh fug! So much wort flooding the stove top. Must not lose all that wort! Put on some gloves, grabbed a clean kitchen towel, started sopping and wringing.. sopping and wringing... the top was fairly clean, but there was probably a little bacon grease and god knows what... Well, I recovered the majority of it, nailed my gravity. My effort was rewarded, beautiful marzen... perfect... mmmm! I think that beer is the best I have ever made at home!

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

imadumas2 Likes This 
Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #508
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I bottled a batch of mighty arrow using old mighty arrow bottles (new Belgium ).that I bought. The catch - I left all the labels on the old bottles. Just threw them in a bucket with Sanitizer. Labels, glue, everything. Pulled them out and filled them! I dont know what I was thinking! Beer turned out decent.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #509
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You should add bacon grease to your next batch to see if that is the secret :-)

Old 02-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #510
bovinejony
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Was testing the gravity of my wort about a week into primary fermentation, using a bucket with a spigot, and the seal around the spigot began leaking. The only way to tighten was from the inside. It was leaking quickly so I just took the spray bottle of week old star san, soaked my arm, and reached into the bucket and tightened the seal.

Was my best batch yet (english version of SNCA).

Quick Reply