Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #31
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Dangling my penis in the boiling wort was a mistake. But the beer still turned out great!
Never had that problem. There are advantages to being hung like a Great North American Field Mouse!

At least you didn't do that AFTER pitching.... That could have led to a "yeast infection".

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #32
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post

At least you didn't do that AFTER pitching.... That could have led to a "yeast infection".
UGH...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

BakedSanta Likes This 
Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #33
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 49

All I can say is:

Friends don't let friends chew sunflower seeds while pounding tripels and brewing an ESB.

You would be DAMN surprised how many shells somehow end up in your boil. ESB turned out perfect though. Ehhh... the shells were boiled and got strained out before they went into the carboy. It was fiiiiiiiiiiine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #34
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My first lager was an Oktoberfest. I didn't realize at the time that you need to make a large starter for lagers, so I just pitched the White Labs vial. The yeast pooped out at around 1.035. I was opening the fermenter every day to check the gravity. I stirred yeast nutrient in, along with a lot of air. Finally I gave up and ordered new yeast. The yeast took a week to come in, then I had learned from my mistake so I made a big starter for it. It was a month later before I could pitch the yeast, meanwhile the beer sat at room temp. After pitching, the beer finally fermented fully (albeit still with a bit high FG) after 3 more weeks.

So at this point the beer had been sitting on a pretty large stressed yeast cake for almost 3 months in primary, had been aerated post-fermentation, and had been exposed to open air a dozen times before the fermentation was complete.

I racked it to secondary, and lagered for 5 months, all the time just devastated that I was spending all this time, $$, and effort (not to mention fridge space) on a beer that would most likely turn out crap.

I now have only a six pack left, as it's one of my (and my guests) favorite beers.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #35
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had a few other brewers over one day and brewed a Maibock. Of course we had a few homebrews and I realized my kettle was a little short pre-boil, so I added some water (not very scientifically, I might add).

Fermentation was great considering I was sober when I took the yeast off the stir plate and pitched it. Long story short, I got Second Best of Show at a local comp with over 100 beers entered and got a 42/50 on the BJCP score sheet.

Probably helped that I had a few batches under my belt when I made it (60+ by then), but I try to cut back on consumption on brew day.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #36
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

oh gosh. it would probably be easier and shorter to post the times i've actually brewed without any mistakes.

i've brewed lots and lots of beer. my first batch i didn't take a hydro reading for starting gravity. i was pretty convinced that no matter what, my beer would suck. it didn't.

i've left beer in the primary for what i thought was "too long" like over a month and a half, and was convinced the beer would suck. it didn't.

i've made yeast starters from yeast frozen in my freezer for over a year, and was convinced the yeast wouldn't "work" and the beer would suck. it didn't.

i've made beer in the fermentation buckets for a primary, and had the airlock not sealed quite right, not seen any bubbling activity because of it, and was convinced that fermentation was NOT happening, and my beer would suck. it didn't.

i've drank WAY too much green beer, and forgotten about a six pack that i left at a buddies house 6 months ago, and shown up at his house and been like "oh man, i forgot about this." popped one open, and swore never to drink a green beer again. PATIENCE!!!

i've dropped stuff in the boil, dropped stuff in the carboy, in the bottling bucket, forgotten the irish moss, messed up the hops schedule, you name it. it all made BEER. and sometimes, it made DAMN GOOD BEER.

number one rule imo, is keep track of your so called "mistakes" and "goof ups." if the beer is fantastic, replicate the mistakes and goof ups, such as dropped my aroma hops 5 minutes late, etc.

my bar build
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #37
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
That DFH 60-min IPA ended up being privately known as "The Hair of the Dog IPA" and was probably one of the best batches of IPA I have done yet.

And shecky, if you brewed more than once per year...... hehehe
You know, Mike McDole (award winning homebrewer) puts a handful of dog hair in hish mash tun for each beer, that way it is his recipe and noone else can replicate it exactly. He makes some damn good beers apparentyl, so maybe there is something to this dog hair thing.

I have forgotten to pour the star san out of the carboy before filling it with wort. I had probably a quart or two of star san solution in the bottom of the carboy that I forgot to dump, I reallized after I had already siphoned a gallon or so into the carboy, so I said f-it we'll see what happens. It was a little foamy at first, and it had a HUGE krausen, but nothing bad happened, and it came out great.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #38
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I was so drunk when I made my third batch that I blacked out.

I literally don't remember anything past boiling the wort and adding the bittering hops. I got up the next day and the fermenter was sitting there in the guest room closet, just like it should be. I was pretty worried about sanitation or that I forgot to cool it or pitch the yeast or something.

I guess I did everything right, because it turned out great, better than the previous two. It was a Belgian Wit, AHS partial mash kit. That is my only first hand experience with a miracle.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #39
Rezilynt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I was using my circulating/chiller and one of the hoses came off - I probably pumped 1/4 gallon of the circulating water into my wort. Beer turned out great.

I've had one batch that the water from the airlock got sucked back into the wort at least 4 times (I just couldn't leave it alone) This batch turned out great.

I once pitched the yeast (WYeast ) straight out of the fridge - turned out great but took 3 days to start fermenting.

If farmers make wine and engineers make beer, what the hell am I doing here?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #40
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

This is not a mistake with the beer itself, but I once turned on the valve to my wort chiller with the output hose pointing right at my foot and I was wearing flip flops. That sucked

Quick Reply