Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #11
Borisbbadd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wife went to answer her cell phone, hit my arm, her phone flew out of her hand, did a couple back flips and a perfect 10 into the open fermenter..........batch turned out great, but the phone died.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borisbbadd View Post
Wife went to answer her cell phone, hit my arm, her phone flew out of her hand, did a couple back flips and a perfect 10 into the open fermenter..........batch turned out great, but the phone died.
I have come close to losing my phone in the brewpot and the bottling bucket...wow!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2009, 03:23 AM   #13
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

There's probably a "I lost my phone in my beer" thread around here somewhere...

What's tappening? :D

Old 01-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #14
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One of my first mini mashs I got everything ready but forgot 2 pounds of 2-row.

I felt that the only real problem would be the added hops to malt ratio and sure enough it was unbalanced towards hop.

Let it sit for a while as I know hops tend to diminish over time.

Drank on just tonight and it's just fine and I'll have no problems sharing it with friends.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #15
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Im not sure if i qualify as Revy's buddy but i have been doing this awhile and i have a regular monthly Fu*kup... My ex-girl used to call it my brewing PMS (partial monthly screwup)....Some of the more colorful ones.

july of 3 years ago: forgot to pinch yeast into a batch of apple cider made with real fresh cider. It started to ferment natrally and i remember i screwed up and went ok, i will break down, hit it with some cap tabs and everthing will be ok in a couple of days... Well i went to the LHBS which i didnt frequent much because it was alittle far away for me and i didnt want people thinking that 18 year old kid was making achohal... grabed a bottle of camp tabs and went home and pitched in the required ammount... Then a day later i added the yeast in... fermentation didnt start... didnt start... I read the bottle... they weret camp-tabs... the cap said camp tabs... the bottle said K-sorbate... whoops, i just sterilized my brew, oh sh*t... no biggy... K-sorbate breaks down at higher temps... I pasturized the juice on the stove top... it ended up cloudy but fermented out fine... moral ov the story, read the bottle, not the cap

Two years ago in may i was making a batch of mean and didnt sterilize the fermenter... at all... just chucked the meade in there right on top of the old nasty red star yeast cake... i had made a cider in it just before... Fermentaiton started but the meade turned a funny color and i realized what i did and actully it turned out just fine

Hell my first extract kit... A red ale... skortched a large ammount of the malt extract to the bottom of the pan... was alot darker then i thought it should be but tasted just fine

thats just three of them... note how i mentioned color in all of them... most colorful... get it... i know im an idiot, and im not funny... thats somthing my ex-girlfriend would tell you too... but the truth is that brews are as fragile as we might think... if i treated each brew like a baby i would never sleep... i mean im catholic but thats rediculess

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Last edited by BrewinJack; 01-09-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #16
nitrousjunkie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first AG, a tripel, had drank to much homebrew. I don't remember anything past the boil starting. One of my best beers yet.

People Like This 
Old 01-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #17
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousjunkie View Post
My first AG, a tripel, had drank to much homebrew. I don't remember anything past the boil starting. One of my best beers yet.
Autopilot Triple...I like it

Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #18
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Recently I accidentally over-diluted a mini-mash batch (i.e. undershot my OG), so the beer tasted thin and watery. I did some calculations and basically brewed another mini-beer that I added to the fermenter to compensate for the flaw. After the second fermentation and a bit of lagering, it's delicious now!

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #19
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6143 Times on 5347 Posts
Likes Given: 751

forgot to add priming sugar to my last batch of Apfelwein.

Was about have way through bottling and my buddy says: "why is the sugar water still on the stove?" OOPS!!!

Oh well, I "wanted" that batch un-carbed anyway

and I just added the sugar water to a mead I started that day...

Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 AM   #20
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I once had a collapsed braid on my mash tun, and therefore a VERY stuck sparge. I dumped the entire contents of the MLT, grains and water into my bottling bucket to fix my braid, then dumped it all back in the MLT. 3 times I did this, but it kept getting stuck. The last time I just stuck my arm in the mash (don't do that...it's hot), and ripped the braid out (make sure to throw the braid into the street and yell loud obscenities at this point). Then I had one of my buddies open the valve while I held a muslin bag over the kettle. Everything came out, grains and wort, into the bag and I strained the wort into the kettle. I also did the same thing for the sparge, and when the bag got full I would just dump the contents back into the MLT.

This was an IPA, and it turned out fantastic. No astringency, no hot side aeration, just hoppy and dry...go figure!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff
People Like This 

Quick Reply