Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #101
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
Yeah, I never have a boilover after the boil has broken but as soon as it starts to break it gets out of control till I calm it down! I know, I need to get my sh!t together.
Defoamer, dude, defoamer (aka fermcap)! Or, a fan! You point a fan at the boil surface, no boilovers. Easy as that. Hell, if I have my big airmover fan on medium and point it at the surface, I actually have a hard time keeping a rolling boil. Trust me...defoamer and/or a fan work wonders...and you can up your efficiency a little bit because you get to use more water in the sparge because your evap rate gets increase by the fan.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #102
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Defoamer, dude, defoamer (aka fermcap)! Or, a fan! You point a fan at the boil surface, no boilovers. Easy as that. Hell, if I have my big airmover fan on medium and point it at the surface, I actually have a hard time keeping a rolling boil. Trust me...defoamer and/or a fan work wonders...and you can up your efficiency a little bit because you get to use more water in the sparge because your evap rate gets increase by the fan.
Sweet! I brew outside of an aparartment so I don't have an outlet for a fan but I do need to get some of those fermcaps. Yeah, I know.

What's tappening? :D

Old 01-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #103
nowise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had an awful brewday after a series of good ones. I tried to use a better bottle without a funnel and without filtering the whole hops. I tried all different ways of getting the beer in that bottle! In my rush, I was pretty lax on the sanitation. Oh well it will still be beer and at worst I will have a sour IPA or something entirely drinkable in 4 months or so.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #104
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowise View Post
I tried to use a better bottle without a funnel
Why?!? How? Were you just aiming the pour from the kettle?
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #105
nowise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha, almost. I tried a autosiphon first, which kept getting clogged. Then I tried my bottling bucket which also got clogged. Finally, I just used a lemonade pitcher and poured the wort in by hand. Never again will I make such a mistake!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #106
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowise View Post
I just used a lemonade pitcher and poured the wort in by hand.
This is how I do it from the kettle into the SS mesh strainer that is sitting in the funnel. I do it from a foot or so above to get the best aeration I can on the way in. After a couple gallons I can pour from the kettle direct into the strainer and I have a nice filter bed in the strainer.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #107
Cider
Recipes 

I modded a stout kit by adding roast and flaked barley, northern brewer hops and coffee. Turned out I squished the hop bag which was a nono and when the beer was finished fermenting it tasted like gasoline because it was so hot. I was going to throw it out but a year and 4 months later it is my second favorite beer I have made. It pays to let a hot or bad beer mellow out and to give it a chance to age.

Last edited by Cider; 01-25-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #108
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Intended to leave an ESB in the primary for 3 weeks and.... Kid got sick and delayed me a week. Then the wife got sick and delayed me a week. Then I got sick and delayed my bottling another week. Sure I understand that many leave their home brews on the yeast cake that long or even longer but it wasn't part of the original plan for that brew. It turned out to be the best beer up to that point.

On my first brew using a non-prehopped extract kit (Classic English Pale Ale) I let the grains steep in water that reached 179F (maybe more) and then I foolishly squeezed the grain bag before I was done with it. Turned out to be a damn fine beer. In fact, everyone who has tried it likes it more than any other beer I've brewed. Well....they haven't had my latest one yet.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #109
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I was new I didn't have a clean fermenting bucket on hand so I stuffed it with a garbage bag. Garbage bags are sanitized in manufacture right? Almost Every Grolsch bottle blew up. I tasted one and it was disgusting.

I tried cooling a glass carboy full of hot wort in a cold water bath in the sink. That lasted about 10 seconds. Luckily no one got hurt.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #110
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly McStanson View Post
When I was new I didn't have a clean fermenting bucket on hand so I stuffed it with a garbage bag. Garbage bags are sanitized in manufacture right? Almost Every Grolsch bottle blew up. I tasted one and it was disgusting.

I tried cooling a glass carboy full of hot wort in a cold water bath in the sink. That lasted about 10 seconds. Luckily no one got hurt.
Uh, this thread is titled "What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

Funny stories, though.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Quick Reply