Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What size brewpot to prevent boil over?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
LoadedFront
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What size brewpot to prevent boil over?

I have started to brew some bigger beers of late, and I am having trouble managing boil over in my 5 gallon brew pot (3 gallon brew for 5 gallons of beer). I have to really babysit the thing and manage temperature to prevent boil over with these higher gravity beers. Is there a particular brewpot size that allows you to "set it and forget it" until you get to your timed adds? I was thinking a 10 gallon might do the trick, but I don't want to chunk down the cash for that only to find that a 15 gallon would have been better. Thoughts? Experience? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a 15 gallon, and I have still come somewhat close to boiling over on a 5 gallon batch. It's amazing how quick it will foam up. Buy as big as you can afford. I found a 60qt aluminum pot at Home Depot and it has been perfect for me so far.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
nos33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

as long as my burner is set right, I have one setting for aggressive boil, one for steeping and one for rolling boil. I boil 5 gallons at a time in a 7.5 gallon kettle. the only reason I know the right knob setting is because i boil over often if i dont use my pre-set knob control.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
bbognerks
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would go for a 15 gallon for future-proofing. If you ever want to start doing 10gal batches, you'd need a 15 gallon pot to keep the boil over risk low. But if you never plan on going over 5 gallons, an 8-10 gallon pot would suffice. Also a spray bottle of water helps to knock down that foam.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
nos33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i also keep a spray bottle with clean water available for when it does try to boil over. it works wonders by the way

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Foam control also works great.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Are you planning to do full wort boils or only partial boils?

If you are making 5-gal batches (full wort boil) then a 10-gal pot should be sufficient. If you think you may brew larger batches then you'll probably need an even bigger pot.

Identifying your most common batch size should make the decision easier.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have an 8 gallon that works great MOST of the time, but I have boiled over once or twice. +1 to the get as big as you can afford posts. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=8+gallon+stainless+steel+pot&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSHB#q=8+gallon+stainless+steel+pot&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7TSHB&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=RYI4TdbJKMOBgAfG4O23CA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQrQQwAA&biw=1259&bih=606&fp=2d73bcec2e6e3c54 Mine is VERY heavy duty and ran about $100 INCLUDING shipping.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

I like the 15 Gallon size if you think you will want to do 10 gallon batches. 10 Gallon is fine if you want to do 5 gallon batches.

You *could* get away with a 7.5 gallon kettle if you are only doing mid-gravity beers, but you will need to control the foam with one of the various methods, including Fermcap, which is amazing. Baby gas drops are a similar product, and also work very well. I've used it on award winning beers before. About 12 drops in 5 gallons.

I love my 15 gallon kettle now, though. No fermcap, and no boilover worries.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
joeunc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i get get 6.5 boiling fine in 8gallon pot but I make sure to use fermcap and have never boiled over. I have a 15gallon also that I have barely used since the 8gallon has worked out fine.

Quick Reply