Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What should I do???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
kblankenship11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Most people on this forum don't rack to secondary. There are several reasons that I like to do it, but for some it's not worth the effort.

The first for me is comfort; if I am too busy to bottle I can just leave it in my glass carboy for as long as I want without worrying about oxidation from plastic or off flavors from sitting on tons of yeast.

The second is clarity. If you don't care about clarity, then by all means leave in primary for the duration of the fermentation.

Most people will say there is no taste difference. I've never done a comparison batch so I cant speak on it. There is a lot of conflicting information so its more of a personal preference I think.

With any dry yeast that I've used there is a TON of dead yeast on bottom of my primary. If it makes you feel better to rack to secondary, then do it!! That's pretty much why I do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I will really hate ANOTHER rack to secondary yes or no thread. Not because it has been covered (it was certainly covered) but because it´s a dead end discussion there is some people that will rack to secondary and some people that don´t. I´m just a little tired of the discussion so I´m not giving my opionion on that issue anymore

Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
I will really hate ANOTHER rack to secondary yes or no thread. Not because it has been covered (it was certainly covered) but because it´s a dead end discussion there is some people that will rack to secondary and some people that don´t. I´m just a little tired of the discussion so I´m not giving my opionion on that issue anymore
Why did you even post a comment then? I agree with your opinion that some do and some don't and that's that, but your last sentence seems to be a bit superfluous.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
Why did you even post a comment then? I agree with your opinion that some do and some don't and that's that, but your last sentence seems to be a bit superfluous.
I posted a comment because I wanted to, I wasn´t rude or vulgar language so I posted it and I think I don´t have to explian myself to you, but anyway I do: this kinds of threads tend to go off topic -just like now- I think the OP original question wasn´t should I rack to sencondary or not, my effort was to end a discussion that wasn´t open from the OP and to try to finish a "dead end" discussion so we all can put our different ways to aproach fermentation and actually help the OP. I didn´t say anything else about his questions because they seemed like they were already anwser.
And I´m a superfluos person expect superfluos comments from me or you can always ignore my comments and that´s it.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A bit touchy are we? Didn't mean to offend, just asking a question and making an observation.

On topic: I don't use a secondary simply because I'm lazy and I've never really seen a difference in clarity or taste the 2 times I did it. Let the beer sit there long enough and it'll clear itself up nicely (usually). Just have to be careful not to disturb the yeast cake too much.

Kegged - Ryerish Red

― William Shakespeare

Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
A bit touchy are we? Didn't mean to offend, just asking a question and making an observation.

On topic: I don't use a secondary simply because I'm lazy and I've never really seen a difference in clarity or taste the 2 times I did it. Let the beer sit there long enough and it'll clear itself up nicely (usually). Just have to be careful not to disturb the yeast cake too much.
I probably was sorry about that I think I just pay on you a recent disagreament with my boss (he doesn´t like me getting on HBT jejje) I´m sorry if I was a bit edgy didn´t mean to and I didn´t want to edit the message before a reply it didn´t seems rigth to me. Please accept my apologies

Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
I probably was sorry about that I think I just pay on you a recent disagreament with my boss (he doesn´t like me getting on HBT jejje) I´m sorry if I was a bit edgy didn´t mean to and I didn´t want to edit the message before a reply it didn´t seems rigth to me. Please accept my apologies
It's all good. And I know the feeling when you unfairly project your discontent from an unrelated argument onto someone else. I've been there several times with my wife. I'd say RDWHAHB, but seeing how work is involved, that would probably be best left until later.

Kegged - Ryerish Red

― William Shakespeare

Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkinger
acronym help... what is "qft"??

If I venture a guess, I would say Quite F$%^ing True
I thought he was saying brewing is partly quantum field theory.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I rack to a third vessel, and sometimes a fourth if i need that extra bit of flavor. Screw all you who say otherwise!

Rabble rabble rabble!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking View Post
I rack to a third vessel, and sometimes a fourth if i need that extra bit of flavor. Screw all you who say otherwise!

Rabble rabble rabble!
lol

Quick Reply