What should i brew for my first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im starting my first batch soon and was looking for some suggestions on what to brew. I was thinking maybe a wheat? Would that be ok for my first one or is that a little more difficult for any reason?

Also, im assuming i should just buy a recipe kit for my first time instead of trying to get fancy and choosing/mixing ingredients myself unitll i really get the hang of everything?

Have you done any research about this yet? If you're just starting out, I would suggest a kit so you don't have to worry about that particular point of failure. You'll start experimenting soon enough.

What style of beers do you drink/like the most? That's really what is going to answer your question. You should be able to find most styles of beer in a kit that will be easily brewed, except maybe lagers, unless you have a way of controlling fermentation temps. If you like hoppy, go with an IPA. Not so much? How about a ESB, wheats aren't bad either. Again, what do you like to drink(please don't say bud!)?

that's a good package for starting out - get that, and a midwest ingredients kit to go with it. you can make a nice wheat with simple extract and hops, then build out from there on subsequent batches. remember you will need a good chunk of change for a boil kettle.

i'd say even if you want to dive straight into all grain brewing (for which you will need extra equipment - just search here or out there on the web), it makes sense to go with an ingredients kit. get your basic approach down, then research the different elements of the flavour.

Back