Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What should beer look like in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
charlesnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What should beer look like in secondary

I transferred yesterday and expected a frothy layer or something going on near the surface... It was in primary one week and transferred after I made sure the fg was reached and not changing...now it's completely calm with nothing really going on in there, this is my first batch and i'm not sure if thats normal...

charles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesnj View Post
I transferred yesterday and expected a frothy layer or something going on near the surface... It was in primary one week and transferred after I made sure the fg was reached and not changing...now it's completely calm with nothing really going on in there, this is my first batch and i'm not sure if thats normal...

charles
thats why most of us don't even bother with secondarys. There is really no purpose for it other than may be long term cold crashing for fruther clarifying/lagering. With every transfer you just introduce risk of oxidation/contamination. Ditch the kit instructions and read this forum daily.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yes normal. A second fermentation doesn't occur in the secondary fermenter... it's just called a secondary fermenter cause it's the second one you move the beer into.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
charlesnj
Recipes 

i only did it so i could free up the bucket for some st pattys day stout

Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Next time buy a new bucket, they're cheap. But a beer put in secondary should be calm. It's to clear the beer, so there shouldn't be much if any action, although if you move too soon without waiting til fermentation was truly over than there could possibly be a new krausen forming. But at the most you might just see some yeast rafts floating on the surface; yeast that gets buoyed to the surface by co2. Nothing to worry about.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply