Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is the purpose of...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
str8upbrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the purpose of...

I have a 5gl pail for my primary and that's it.. I've done 2 brews and going to add equipment. What is the purpose of a secondary and a bottling bucket?. And are they both just pails, or carboys, as well. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

The secondary vessels are to separate the beer from trub. And you can use the carboys for extended aging. A bottling bucket has a spigot on it and you attach a piece of tubing and a bottle filler to the spigot. And yes it's a bucket

Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

For most beers, people around here say you won't need a secondary. I think a secondary is more useful if you've got something that's going to need a while to clear up after primary fermentation is over with. Also useful for dry hopping (adding more hops after primary is done, for the more bitter flavor).

I am also considering making a half batch to put into a 5-gallon plastic carboy, especially if it's something that I'm not a huge fan of, and just want to give as gifts.

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
meadmazer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

The bottling bucket helps in filling bottles, mixing in the sugar for carbonating in bottles, and it gets the beer off some of the trub when it is racked from the fermentor into the bottling bucket, keeping some stuff out of the bottles.
I just got a better bottle to try, I like the carboys because, for me, they are easier to seal airtight than a bucket, and I like to see what the beer is doing. I have a few glass ones that I use now, and I do meads and wines, so I rack and age more compared to beer. Also I have a hard time trusting buckets, just a personal thing.
As far as adding equipment, another bucket or carboy or better bottle, and a spout to make a bottling bucket would
be my suggestion. Maybe a hydrometer.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2195 Times on 1911 Posts
Likes Given: 1641

Def get a bottling bucket. you'll need that to mix the priming solution into the beer without stirring up trub as you would in the primary. You can just leave it in primary to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty after FG is reached. Many of us even dry hop in primary after it clears up. Secondary generally isn't used much by many,save for oaking or adding fruit or the like.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
skw
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It is possible to use just one bucket with a spigot for fermentation, dry hopping and bottling if necessary. It won't be as convenient as having separate vessels though.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Not unless you're gunna use something like Cooper's carb drops that you put in the bottles & then use the bottling wand on the spigot to fill the bottles. You can only go so cheap before you go bust.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
skw
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You don't need drops. You can calculate the amount of sugar water you need per bottle and use a syringe with a ml scale. It certainly is less convenient than using a separate bottling bucket, but it is possible.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Without a syringe & a calculator for how much sugar soulution,drops would be faster & easier though.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Bottling bucket and wand are more than worth the cost. Check out Revvy's Bottling sticky to see why.

Brew On!

Quick Reply