Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > at what point would it help to increase the ambient temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default at what point would it help to increase the ambient temp?

So, I've read that some of you guys move your primary to a warmer area toward the end of primary fermentation. If you're leaving the primary alone for 2-3 weeks, at what point would it help to increase the ambient temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How do you increase ambient temperature?

If you change the ambient temperature of a room it becomes the new ambient.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

, Bill. However, "ambient temperature" simply refers to the temperature of whatever surroundings you are talking about (whether it be outside, in your den, or in your fermentation fridge).

I gradually raise the temperature as fermentation slows, until I get to my "final" temperature. To illustrate, I may start my fermentation in a roughly average temperature range of 65F. Over the couple days or so that the fermentation is very active, I won't touch it. Then, as the fermentation slows, I will bump the ambient temperature up to 68 or so over a couple days, to help ensure that the yeast remains active. Often, at the tail end, when fermentation has slowed to a crawl (say, one bubble every ten seconds, but I am not that exact about it), I'll raise the temperature up to the high end of the yeast's range (say, 72F) to help ensure full attenuation and post-fermentation cleanup.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
, Bill. However, "ambient temperature" simply refers to the temperature of whatever surroundings you are talking about (whether it be outside, in your den, or in your fermentation fridge).

I gradually raise the temperature as fermentation slows, until I get to my "final" temperature. To illustrate, I may start my fermentation in a roughly average temperature range of 65F. Over the couple days or so that the fermentation is very active, I won't touch it. Then, as the fermentation slows, I will bump the ambient temperature up to 68 or so over a couple days, to help ensure that the yeast remains active. Often, at the tail end, when fermentation has slowed to a crawl (say, one bubble every ten seconds, but I am not that exact about it), I'll raise the temperature up to the high end of the yeast's range (say, 72F) to help ensure full attenuation and post-fermentation cleanup.

TL
Thanks Tex, that's what I was looking for.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
How do you increase ambient temperature?
My house has a furnace.

Quick Reply