Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > At what point should I repitch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
samuelzero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default At what point should I repitch?

I brewed a three gallon batch of Pale Ale on Saturday. I pitched 7 grams of Safale US56 that had been rehydrated in 95 degree water. Unfortunately, I overcooled the wort, and pitched at around 60 degrees. I know this is not ideal. Overnight the temp rose to about 76 degrees.

The next day, there was a layer of Krausen, and I started to see airlock activity about 16 hours after pitching. At the fastest, I got one meager bubble every eight seconds or so.

The next day (today), I'm still seeing a bubble every 8 - 10 seconds or so. It seems to me that I should be seeing more activity.

Should I hold out for the bubbling to stop completely before pitching more yeast, or should I go ahead and do it now? I don't mind if it ferments slowly as long as it attenuates fully, but my gut is telling me that this one is going to turn out mighty sweet and have very little alcohol if I don't take action.

Opinions? If I was to repitch, how much dry yeast should I add?

Thanks, all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I'm not sure why this is coming up so much today, but if your wort is actively fermenting I can't see any reason to pitch more yeast. It may have fermented quickly while you were asleep or at work and has now slowed down to its current rate. I also don't see any reason to resign yourself to pitching more yeast at some point until you've taken a gravity reading after fermentation has stopped. I'd say there's a 99% chance your beer will ferment out just fine the way it is and you can save the yeast for your next batch

Old 04-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
voodoochild7
Recipes 

My very first batch took off like crazy the next morning after I pitched. By the time I got home from work at around 7pm. It was bubbling once every 20 seconds. The beer came out fine. I just let it go for the week and took hydro readings for when it was done.

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Old 04-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
samuelzero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild7
My very first batch took off like crazy the next morning after I pitched. By the time I got home from work at around 7pm. It was bubbling once every 20 seconds. The beer came out fine. I just let it go for the week and took hydro readings for when it was done.
My first batch did much the same (this is my second). Unfortunately it ended up tasting rather like a clove cigarette.

I left this batch in a warm spot overnight just to get it going, figuring I'd move it to a cooler spot the next day. I may have missed the boat. I'll have to take a gravity reading once the bubbling stops completely.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelzero
My first batch did much the same (this is my second). Unfortunately it ended up tasting rather like a clove cigarette.

I left this batch in a warm spot overnight just to get it going, figuring I'd move it to a cooler spot the next day. I may have missed the boat. I'll have to take a gravity reading once the bubbling stops completely.
I'm with the Baron. What you are describing sounds perfectly normal to me.

If it is still bubbling like you say, it is still fermenting. No need to repitch.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
samuelzero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I'm with the Baron. What you are describing sounds perfectly normal to me.

If it is still bubbling like you say, it is still fermenting. No need to repitch.
My original point is that I never saw it bubble more than once every 8-10 seconds or so, though it's entirely possible it went nuts while I slept.

I hope this is not the case, as my main goal for this batch was to avoid fusel alcohols...

Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelzero
My original point is that I never saw it bubble more than once every 8-10 seconds or so, though it's entirely possible it went nuts while I slept.

I hope this is not the case, as my main goal for this batch was to avoid fusel alcohols...
I am confused. You are worried about fusel alcohols because of the quick fermentation? Or the fact that the temp rose during the night? if that is the case, you won't get fusel alcohol unless the temp was higher than 80°.

Dude, RDWHAHB.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

Dude, RDWHAHB.
Talking to yourself allready today?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
samuelzero
Recipes 

Quote:
I am confused. You are worried about fusel alcohols because of the quick fermentation? Or the fact that the temp rose during the night? if that is the case, you won't get fusel alcohol unless the temp was higher than 80°.

Dude, RDWHAHB.

Perhaps I'm in the clear. I don't believe the temp rose above 78, and once I saw them up that high, I moved the fermenter to a cooler spot.

I assumed the fast fermentation was as a result of the higher temperature.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:32 AM   #10
samuelzero
Recipes 

UPDATE: The bubbling had stopped completely when I got home from work today. I took a gravity reading for the heck of it, and it is 1.022 from an OG of 1.050. I was hoping for 1.015.

It's only been two days, and I suppose I could get a few more gravity points by the time I transfer to secondary, which is scheduled for a week from tonight.

I swirled the bucket around to rouse the yeast a bit, but still no bubbles. There is still plenty of krausen floating on top.

I tasted my gravity sample, and though it's hard to tell from the green hop bitterness, I didn't detect any clove or banana. I think it tasted pretty good for two day old beer.

So I wonder, in the collective opinion of the revered homebrew talk community, what would you folks do? Leave it for the rest of the time in primary and hope it ferments a bit more, or try to play God and sprinkle some more Safale US 56 in there if the gravity hasn't budged in a few more days? Right now, it's only pushing an ABV in the 3% range. All in all, though, I'd prefer beer that tastes good with a low ABV to getting a bit more alcohol along with some funky flavors.

I appreciate all of your input.

p.s. - If any of you think I should add more yeast, please advise as to how much. It is a three gallon batch that I pitched 7 grams into originally.

Quick Reply