Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > At what point did you brew the same beer twice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Brewer_Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default At what point did you brew the same beer twice?

I have now brewed 4 batches: an APA, a Scottish Ale, an oatmeal stout, and now I have a blond ale in the fermenter.

The next beers I will be making are a Texas bock, a vanilla porter, and a Bavarian hefeweizen.

And even though all the beers I have made so far have been outstanding and I would love to drink all of them again, I have no plans in the near future of rebrewing them. There are just so many freaking styles out there. I feel this need to brew them all before settling down on a few favorites.

How long did it take you to start brewing your favorite ones again and again? Or have you EVER brewed the same beer twice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I went through the same thing. I wanted to go through every style. At some point, a year or so into brewing, I finally decided that it was going to be a long attempt. New styles keep popping up, and there's certain things you don't want to drink at certain times of the year. For instance...I may have time to brew a wheat beer in december, but I won't, because it won't get drank. '

I'm at the point now where I have a few recipes I brew a lot (always have one house favorite on tap) but I work them into a double brewday. So I'm always brewing something new.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
speter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I revisited favorites when I switched to all-grain to see if I could brew the "same" beer with both extract and grain.

Oast House Brewing

Old 12-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

1st batch: extract porter
2nd batch: all grain fat tire
3rd batch: all grain fat tire (not as good as first batch)

Old 12-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I'm the opposite. I keep making the same style until make it perfect. Every batch has been good, some very good, but none excellent so far. I'll keep trying until it get it nailed.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm pretty stuck on IPA's so I brew the same beer quite often. always trying to improve prior batches with small adjustments

Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I rebrewed my 11th beer (a Basil IPA) for batch #20. I've since brewed it at least once a year.

At some point, I'll rebrew my 4th beer, which was a gigantic RIS fermented with belgian yeast and aged on oak that gets better every time I open a bottle.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

The first year and a half or so was the "brew each style at least once" period. After a while, I figured out there's quite a few categories of beers that felt like chores to drink, and others that just vanished before I was ready for them to be gone. Thats how I knew which brews to brew twice.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I"ve done about 10 batches and have made a hef three times. They were slight variations on the recipe to see the differences. This worked out well - it is a very easy drinking beer that can be varied in many ways. Last time I added a few pounds of munich malt and it was like drinking a different kind of hef.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I brew Edwort's Haus Pale Ale nearly every other batch.

Quick Reply