Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What pieces of equipment next?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
hlumbard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What pieces of equipment next?

I've got the basic plastic bucket fermenter and bottling bucket setup right now and I'm looking to add a few things whilst my 10% for living in NY is going on at AHS.

I want to get a carboy, either glass or a better bottle. If I can only get one (SHMBO) should I go with a 6/6.5 gal primary so I can FINALLY see what's been going on in my white bucket? Or should I get a 5 gal. for a proper secondary? Never really used a secondary until this Okoberfest I'm lagering right now and it's really put a halt to my brewing.....tick...tock...tick...tock

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Don't bother with a carboy. IMHO, I would suggest getting another fermenter or two. The new-school method is to leave your beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks, then bottle it. Also, the two most important purchases I made when starting out were an immersion chiller and an auto siphon. Hope this helps!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
hlumbard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks! I got the auto siphon and have been doing the 3 week in primary for all my brews. For lagering (when needed) don't you need to move to a secondary?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
mr_clean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Herb ball.$5.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Also, the two most important purchases I made when starting out were an immersion chiller and an auto siphon.
+2 (1 each). Auto siphon makes life easier and chiller greatly improves your outcome. If you do go with a carboy, get the larger one...it can be used for dual purposes as a fermenter or secondary. If you only get the 5 gallon one, it won't be so good as a fermenter.

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
LordHedgie
Recipes 

+1 on chiller; plate if you can afford it, else CFC, or immersion if you're strapped for cash. But anything is better than putting the pot in an ice bath and waiting. If not for your beer, for your sanity.

Get a second fermenter before thinking of a secondary. If you're making any beers that really need racking to secondary (as opposed to leaving in primary for an extended period), you're going to need to be able to have more than one beer going at a time. In fact, it won't be long before you have two beers going, so stock up now.

For fermenters, carboy vs. bucket is a personal preference thing. I like carboys, but they aren't easier.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHedgie View Post
+1 on chiller; plate if you can afford it, else CFC, or immersion if you're strapped for cash. But anything is better than putting the pot in an ice bath and waiting. If not for your beer, for your sanity.
This is what I do to keep my sanity.....

Put a bunch of ice in a giant Hobart industrial mixer bowl and run an immersion chiller inside the keggle, yeah I am spoiled LOL...

If you are going to buy anything buy another fermenter and a immersion chiller, you can have a pipeline going with multiple batches and get the beer down to temp faster as well.

Can I have your business card?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The things that made the biggest difference for me early on were a proper wort chiller (immersion chiller for me) and temperature control during fermentation. The son of fermentation chiller is cheap, easy to build, and can dramatically improve results (in my experience). When it's cold in my basement, I switch to a water bath with an aquarium heater.

The chiller will make your beers much clearer and shave a good bit of time off of a brewday.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am trying to capitalize on the New York 10% off today also. Getting a bench capper, another Better Bottle and some other crap.
Isn't it cheeper to make an Immersion Chiller with copper tubing from Home Depot?
Dave

Old 09-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
I am trying to capitalize on the New York 10% off today also. Getting a bench capper, another Better Bottle and some other crap.
Isn't it cheeper to make an Immersion Chiller with copper tubing from Home Depot?
Dave
Yes, it's cheaper. Get at least 40 feet of copper, if not 60 feet.

Quick Reply