Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What part / ingredient do you never have enough of?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default What part / ingredient do you never have enough of?

The more I brew, the more I feel like I'm frustrated about not having _____. I'm putting together a list so on weeks that I have spare money in my budget, I'll order extras to make brewing a bit easier. Here's the list in order of frustration level:

• Fermentation Vessels. I'm always buying one on brew day because all 7 of my vessels are in use
  • Kegs (fermentation done..but all 4 of my taps are in use so I have to keep finished beer in the carboy which is why #1 is so frustrating.never enough kegs or carboys)
  • 2-row / 6-row grain
  • Tubing (mostly for blow-off) I find myself driving to the hardware store after racking to fermenter to buy a clean tube
  • Hops. I never have enough Citra hops but have finally started buying a little bit each time I buy ingredients and having a nice stock.
  • Propane.

I now have a 2nd propane tank that is always full just in case my burner goes out mid-boil. I need to bulk buy some grain like 50 pounds of it just to have it and tubing..it just requires that I buy 100' of 5/16th and 1/4th tubing and I'll be good for a while. Carboys are the most frustrating thing. Once you start doing 2-6 month fermentations, you never seem to have enough of them. I'll probably have 10 of them before the year is out.

What about you?

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
berebrando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Time. I need more time.

Fermentation vessels, too. I'm up to 11... And need a couple more.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berebrando View Post
Time. I need more time.

Fermentation vessels, too. I'm up to 11... And need a couple more.
People don't seem to understand the carboy thing though. My GF says, "You have 4 beers on tap and 4 fermenting. That seems like a good plan but you have 7 fermenting and are buying another carboy. WHY?!?!?!?"

People don't understand that pale ales, wheat and porters..those are fine after a few weeks to rack but once you start doing Belgian beers and stouts, carboys just sit full of beer for months and months!

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
oze152
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on fermentation vessels, and also space, I never have enough space. Whenever I clear something out to make more room for brewing, it quickly gets filled with brewing supplies/equipment, and I am back to square one.....

~Oze~

Next Up: Winter Ale (Snow Cap Clone)
Fermenting: Pumpkin Ale; Oktoberfest
Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout;Barleywine; White IPA
Bottled: Belgian Wit; Island Pale Ale; Mac & Jacks Clone; Temptation Ale; Not Your Ordinary Irish Red; Summer Shandy

Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Wyeast 1056. I wish I could have a constant start of it.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Kegs and co2. 16 kegs and 5 on tap. I've started aging in my kegs, so instead of needing more carboys, I just need more kegs!

With 16 kegs, I use up 2 5lb co2 bottles a month - purging, cleaning tap lines between switching out kegs, force carbing, etc.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
Kegs and co2. 16 kegs and 5 on tap. I've started aging in my kegs, so instead of needing more carboys, I just need more kegs!

With 16 kegs, I use up 2 5lb co2 bottles a month - purging, cleaning tap lines between switching out kegs, force carbing, etc.
I know it's a big deposit but have you thought of a large tank that breweries use...25 / 50 pounds? They would force you to put the seats flat in your car to fit it in and probably a few hundred bucks deposit but less trips is always a good thing.

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson

I know it's a big deposit but have you thought of a large tank that breweries use...25 / 50 pounds? They would force you to put the seats flat in your car to fit it in and probably a few hundred bucks deposit but less trips is always a good thing.
That's going to be my next purchase. I'm planning in using it to purge, seat keg lids and force carb. I was worried about getting such a big tank because with my luck I'd have a leak somewhere and would be out 50lbs of gas instead of just 5lbs!

I have a pickup truck, so it's easy to throw all the propane and co2 tanks in and get them all filled at once.

A tank of beer gas is on the list too. Just ordered a stout faucet yesterday. Now I just need someone to help me drink all the beer!

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 09-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

2 Row / MO
Cascade
Yeast (I usually buy a packet of Notty/US-05/S-33 when I buy a vial or smackpack)
Crystal 40L (it's surprising how much of this I go through)

Fermenters and time are the biggest constant needs though

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 09-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

The thing I don't have enough of is metabolism to drink more beer without getting fat. I pretty much had to stop brewing for half the year so I can try to force myself to drink the remaining beer from some older batches. I know it's dumb to complain about having too much beer but I was running out of room for more bottles.

Otherwise, I don't keg and I don't normally brew hoppy beers (although I'm starting to) so I don't have to worry about CO2 or having enough hops. I also rarely use my turkey fryer so my propane tank is usually full. The biggest problem I have is not having enough empty fermentors, especially for my smaller batches. Most of my fermentors are occupied by sour/wild beers.

Quick Reply