New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are the odds...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
inturnldemize
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default What are the odds...

...of getting an infected batch? Chances are i'm being a little paranoid here but I just want to make sure my batch will be good! I have no signs of infection at all but the whole bottling process worries me a little. I'm going to bottle on Friday.

Everything that touched my wort was sanitized, whenever I took my hydro readings, I sanitized the cup I used. Believe it or not, i'm fermenting the beer in my room lol. Not sure if this can have a bearing on anything. Also, for my own obsessive curiosity, I would open the lid of my fermenter 1-2 times a day. However, i'd always open it just a crack, like 2 inches.

Basically, how often do infected batches happen? Has anyone gotten them before and what's the ratio of infected to non-infected batches?

Thanks peeps. Always helpful!

"Beer fermentation is the most ugly, yet beautiful thing a home brewer can experience." -Me

Please, people, for the love of beer, do not drink your brew out of the bottle. Beer is a beautiful thing and the least it deserves is a clean glass.

Follow A&M Beer Reviews on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Beer-Reviews/343042525716025

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think I've had three unintentional infections in 4.5 years of brewing, which is a lot of batches. Only one of those (the first one, a Mr. Beer kit batch) was a drainpour.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
inturnldemize
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Do infections ALWAYS equal automatic bottle bombs?

"Beer fermentation is the most ugly, yet beautiful thing a home brewer can experience." -Me

Please, people, for the love of beer, do not drink your brew out of the bottle. Beer is a beautiful thing and the least it deserves is a clean glass.

Follow A&M Beer Reviews on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Beer-Reviews/343042525716025

Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Not usually. Often you'll be able to tell whether your beer is infected before you even get to bottling.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inturnldemize View Post
...of getting an infected batch? Chances are i'm being a little paranoid here but I just want to make sure my batch will be good! I have no signs of infection at all but the whole bottling process worries me a little. I'm going to bottle on Friday.

Everything that touched my wort was sanitized, whenever I took my hydro readings, I sanitized the cup I used. Believe it or not, i'm fermenting the beer in my room lol. Not sure if this can have a bearing on anything. Also, for my own obsessive curiosity, I would open the lid of my fermenter 1-2 times a day. However, i'd always open it just a crack, like 2 inches.

Basically, how often do infected batches happen? Has anyone gotten them before and what's the ratio of infected to non-infected batches?

if you're careful and sanitary...chances are the beer will be fine. the more more you are opening the fermenter and messing with it, the higher that chance goes. there is really no need to be opening it everyday.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

24 batches so far - 0 infections.

If you are careful to sanitize you may never get one.
Don't open your fermenter so often. Each time is a chance that infection could take hold.

I only open my fermenter to take a FG reading. If it is at predicted levels I then bottle so I only open it twice total. Once for the reading and last to transfer to the bottling bucket.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
... for my own obsessive curiosity, I would open the lid of my fermenter 1-2 times a day. However, i'd always open it just a crack, like 2 inches.
You gotta stop this habit friend.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i have done some pretty stupid stuff and still have not seen an infection. i'm actually pretty surprised with some of the stuff i got away with.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Quote:

Clear carboys, glass or plastic (Better Bottles) for you would be better if you want to watch the fermentation progress.

Quick Reply