what notes do you take and do you have a standard form that you take them on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ellas

Reaction score
Happy new year everyone! I'm wondering what information you track from beer to beer and how. I've been taking notes such as pitching temp, dates, things I feel I should do differently next time etc on the recipe sheet. What does everyone else do?

thank you!

I use an excel spread sheet for each beer with ingredients, process, notes and color tabs for ones I like the most.

All my notes are copious so I know exactly what I did later. I'm sort of on the anal side so I write out each step in the process then document any deviation I made from my initial process. I'm a believer that getting your process worked out on your initial beers is very important. Do you have to be as detailed? No. It's entirely up to you. But what I did has always worked for me for my 5 gallon batches. If you want a copy of one of my recipes with all my steps and what I document let me know. Whether it's an extract with grains, a partial mash or all grain recipe, I've got examples I can share with you. I just write it all in Word or OpenOffice.

I design and printout my recipes on Brewtoad. Add Brunwater changes. Then take detailed notes on my mashing, brewing and fermentation. I also add tasting notes, and anything I think I should change next time. All go in a 3-hole binder. Now that I'm getting enough brewdays to become cumbersome, I put a summary of each brew on an Excel spreadsheet.

All my notes are copious so I know exactly what I did later. I'm sort of on the anal side so I write out each step in the process then document any deviation I made from my initial process. I'm a believer that getting your process worked out on your initial beers is very important. Do you have to be as detailed? No. It's entirely up to you. But what I did has always worked for me for my 5 gallon batches. If you want a copy of one of my recipes with all my steps and what I document let me know. Whether it's an extract with grains, a partial mash or all grain recipe, I've got examples I can share with you. I just write it all in Word or OpenOffice.

I would love to see them! I'll pm you my email address? Thank you!

I print out my recipes in beersmith, then fill in the blanks and write notes all over the page.

Any place that something doesn't follow the exact recipe, I write a note (ex, mash in, mash out temps, etc). If anything strange happens, I note that as well. Basically, anything that does not go according to the set plan on my printout, I note. I keep the recipes printouts in a binder. I find its easier to do that then have a computer or tablet handy when I'm in the middle of the process.

I print out Beersmith recipes and Bru N Water sheets before brew day. Then I scribble notes in the margins while brewing. After I'm done brewing and everything is put away I enter the info into a few paragraphs in a Word doc I have for keeping notes.

I print out my recipes in beersmith, then fill in the blanks and write notes all over the page.

Any place that something doesn't follow the exact recipe, I write a note (ex, mash in, mash out temps, etc). If anything strange happens, I note that as well. Basically, anything that does not go according to the set plan on my printout, I note. I keep the recipes printouts in a binder. I find its easier to do that then have a computer or tablet handy when I'm in the middle of the process.

^^^this

Thanks all for the great info and buzzerj for the examples!

I user Evernote to record everything. Recipe, brew steps, time, water, tasting notes, daily observations, etc. I can access it via the web while I'm at work and add recipes I want to try. Also, I can upload brewday pics of whatever I took with my phone.

I print out each recipe and take notes as I go. I have a binder specifically for these print outs. I find i get better notes on paper than whatever makes it into the computer.

I mostly record the process variables of interest.... time and temperature of everything, actual vs desired.

Would you mind if I snagged a couple ale extract recipes from your notes? Brewed my first batch today and can't wait to do a second

Would you mind if I snagged a few ale extract recipes from you? Brewed my first batch today and can't wait to start my second.

Back