Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What next?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
grim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What next?

Hi all. I'm just about to bottle my first batch, a Coopers DIY lager kit. Now that I've done more reading I think that I let it ferment at too high a temperature for a lager. I'm not too worried about it though, the samples tasted fine.

My question is should I get another of the same lager kits for my next batch and regulate the temperature better? I also saw that some people add hops to these kits?

Will better temperature control make much difference to the final product? I've been working on a thermostat controlled heat belt so I should be able to do reasonable temperature control on the next batch.

Thanks a lot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Accurate, stable temperature control of your fermentation is one of the most important parts of brewing. Not only does it allow you to make a better product but it makes repeating the results of a specific recipe much easier.

There are several DIY posts on HBT on making temperature controlled fermentation chambers out of old fridges/mini-fridges so if you have an unused one laying around or can get one on the cheap it will make your life much easier on future brews.

Lagers can be finicky so you may want to try a nice ale on your next batch since most can be done at room temperature (low to mid 60s+).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply