Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are my options for flat, bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #51
kpheasey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Keg it! I had a winter saison, around 11% that didn't carb in bottles. Decided it was time to upgrade to kegging. Slowly dumped the bottles into the keg and force carbonated over the course of the next week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #52
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWa View Post
I recently had a similar issue with a big barely wine that I made last year. It is a mini-mash clone of the JW Lees Harvest Ale from the Clone Brews book. I followed the recipe almost exactly, I did use a time bit more grains in the mini-mash, and started with an OG of 1.126. I pitched the Irish Ale yeast that was recommended without thinking twice about it. Primary lasted about 6 weeks then I dry hopped in secondary for about 2 weeks if I remember right and the gravity was down to about 1.036. I bottled last November and the book stated that it would be ready to drink 9 month after bottling. I tasted it here and there knowing that it wouldn't be ready until mid-August and it was still dead. I decided to add a yeast that would tolerate the higher alcohol so I carefully poured all bottles back into a sanitized fermenter and pitched some dry wine yeast to it. Fermentation started up again immediately then quickly tapered off. I still have it in a carboy and agitate it frequently. I know the complaints about oxidizing the beer so I was very careful not to splash as I pour all the bottles. Wouldn't re-pitching new yeast need at least some O2 to start fermentation back up? I will let this sit for some time before I take another gravity reading. I opened them all and re-pitched because I felt like the FG wasn't where it should have been and also in hindsight I feel like there is a possibility I may have forgot to put priming sugar in this batch though I did get a small hiss with each bottle opened. I am hoping that I can salvage this batch as I have been looking forward to it for a long time.
See my post just above yours. Wine yeast won't help your FG, it'll just eat the priming sugar and then stop. This makes it ideal to pitch at bottling to carb your beer without over-attenuating. E.G., if you pitch 3711 at bottling, it'll overcarb because it attenuates so much, so it'll eat the priming sugar and whatever your primary strain left behind. Wine yeast will only eat the priming sugar.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #53
ScottWa
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I will let the BW set for perhaps a long time and see if anything happens with it. Right now I only have a single keg that is currently occupied but if I can get another keg I'll just keg it or I'll wait until my current keg is empty. I'd really prefer to have this beer around for a long time which is why I wanted to bottle it but I guess now I would just prefer to not let this beer go to waste.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #54
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 70

buy some cheap beer pour 6 oz of the cheap beer in a cup and pour the flat one on top of it.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #55
ScottWa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewtah-brewha View Post
buy some cheap beer pour 6 oz of the cheap beer in a cup and pour the flat one on top of it.
I'll probably go ahead and not do that. Thanks for the thought though.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #56
Hovik
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovik View Post
I have the same problem and have some Lalvin D47 in the fridge from 11/12 (I'll check to make sure it's not expired) do you think this would work as good as the EC1118? I checked the d47's datasheet and it says it's good to 14%... just don't know if it ill have even close to that sparkling effervescence that the ec1118 would being champagne yeast...

Update: Well on 6/14 I went ahead and used the d47 and followed looneybomber's directions above. Since I bottle in 22oz and 16oz bottles in addition to 12oz I just adjusted accordingly (I did 1.5mL in the 16oz bottles and 2mL in the 22oz bottles). We'll see how it works out. I am thinking to leave them to sit for a month and then crack one. Will post results.
Sorry for the late update. 1 month after the above process I cracked a bottle and it was mildly carbonated. and after the 2nd month it was perfect. If you have the time to wait for the bottles to carb up this is a great option for flat beer, if you don't have the time I suggest you keg...

Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #57
ScottWa
Recipes 

So despite my posting about what to do with my flat barleywine I pretty much have gone against the advice that most people have recommended and have done what I felt would work best. I carefully opened and sanitized all of my bottles and carefully poured back into a sanitized glass carboy and re-pitched with 5 grams Red Star Premier Cuvee Dry Wine yeast prepared as instructed on package. It has been back in fermenter for about 3 weeks now and I rouse they yeast pretty frequently. I took a gravity reading last night and it is only down to 1.030 (from 1.036) which is not surprising to me given what others have said about wine yeast munching on different sugars than the ale yeast would but it tastes much better. I will let this set in the fermenter until probably around November or so and see what else it does if anything and will probably end up re-bottling it around that time, this time making sure that the priming sugar does get in there. I am liking where this is going so far and I am reluctant to keg it since I want to keep it around for a long time and I only have 1 keg.

Since I typically use the 3/4 cup corn sugar to 5 gal batch of beer should I keep that same amount for a big BW or should I adjust that up or down because of the gravity. I really want it to carb appropriately. Thanks to all who have chimed in with their 2 cents, this has been a good learning process.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #58
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I finally opened my control bottle, and it was flat, just as the others were before I added champaign yeast.

So in my particular case, I think adding new yeast to the bottles was the way to go.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #59
Hoptimistic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbus View Post
Hello! I tried searching for suggestions, but have not found anything solid (If there is a thread that exists, I apologize in advance)

I brewed a big beer (O.G. 1.10). I ended up leaving it in the primary for 3 months, after which I bottled it (F.G. 1.02). In hind site I should have probably pitched more yeast prior to bottling, but thanks to my inexperience, I did not.

Anyway, It has been bottled since 2/17 and has not carbonated at all. I read through the forums and tried some things, such as moving it to a warmer room (It has been there for about a month now), and occasionally shaking the bottles to try to re-suspend any yeast.

I am convinced that it will not carbonate now, so I am wondering what I can do with it, save for dumping it.

I do not have any kegs or Co2, but if that is my only option, I can procure them.

IS THE BEER WORTH IT? GET A KEG

I am wondering what I can do to end up having it in the bottles, and carbonated nicely (I am trying to avoid buying any new hardware right now).

I saved some of the yeast I used to brew it, but I am unclear on what process I would have to go through to help it.

Would I just make a starter with the yeast I have, slowly pour it in the bottling bucket, pitch some yeast, then re-bottle, or is there a better way? Should I let it sit in a fermenting bucket for a day or so after I pitch more yeast in it?
if you do go this route you need to make sure that you have a highly alcohol tolerant yeast in order to prevent the alcohol content from stoping the small amount of fermentation that is going to produce your all so elusive co2

"brewing beer is not complicated or expensive, it is up to each indiviual brewer* to decide how complicate and expensive they want to make it. (note: *insert brewer's wife were applicable)"

Quick Reply