Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are my options for flat, bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #31
Pelican521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Thanks and sorry to hijack this thread. I've been keeping my bottles in my furnace room that keeps a consistent temp of 70 degrees. At this point, it's the warmest place in my house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #32
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If your furnace room is at 70f, which is absolutely the optimum temp, it sounds like either your priming sugar addition was insufficient or the ABV of the brew is really high, giving the yeast a steep, up-hill slog to get it carbonated.

What do you reckon the ABV is?? What yeast did you use to make this beer?? Is there any possibility you might have come up a bit short with the priming sugar?

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #33
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Yeah, not sure what the problem is...It's a Racer 5 clone extract kit I bought from my LBS, not a big beer at 7%. I Used Wyeast 1056 American Ale and 1.25 DME for bottling.

I've been trying ones that I bottled last from the bottom of the barrel (so to speak). I did a good gentle stir after I racked on top of my priming sugar but maybe those last beers didn't contain enough sugar to carb quick enough.

I took a bottle from the first that were bottled and threw it in the fridge this morning, we'll see if it's any better...

Old 04-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #34
BklynCyclone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had this issue once, and my buddy had it once. My issue was that I didn't stir the priming sugar solution into the bottling bucket and it all sunk... I basically ended up with a dozen bombs, a dozen perfectly carbed and a 2 dozen or so flat beers...

My buddy brewed a big belgian, and it ended up taking a year to carb up. It's a great beer now, but he literally opened one bottle every month until he forgot about it. Found it in the back of his closet the other day, opened it and all was perfect. The big beers can take awhile to carb up in the bottle.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #35
mannye
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherBock View Post
distill it
x2!!

Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #36
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
Your carbonation won't get better.

Long story short, I've had carb issues on a couple big beers. Reydrate a $1 packet of champagne yeast. I use EC1118. Using 2oz of water let's you squirt 1mL into each of the 12oz bottles.

And here's a tip. With every batch of beer, bottle one beer in a brown plastic (PET) bottle so you can squeeze it to check carb levels. No need to uncap.
+1 Champagne yeast
Next Brews: Off White - TBD, but at least another try at the Heady Topper clone

Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #37
toledoBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

There was a post on here recently, it was on the home page. The guy was making a big beer, as well. I remember he had an OG of something like 1.180 like you have and it didn't ferment down past 1.043 and was syrupy. He ended up freezing the batch. As it started melting he put that into one container, that was pretty high in alcohol, he then thawed the rest into a secondary container. He allowed the second batch to continue fermenting as the yeast unthawed and slowly added the high alcohol content beer back into the second container little by little and had a FG of something like 1.015.

Below is a link to the article... It's a good read, pretty interesting...

ice-concentration-to-resurrection

Cheers!!!

Primary: *** Empty ***
Secondary: Irish Red Ale
Keg: Black IPA
Bottles: Blonde Ale, Rye Ale, Hefeweizen

Old 05-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #38
TheKeggingPart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had a couple of friends over and pulled out a special bottle of a highly-aged tripel to share. It was dead flat. Fortunately I had started experimenting with modifying soda siphons to work with my Kegging Part invention and decided to give it a try. The beer carb'd instantly but came out as a glass full of foam. I still haven't worked the kinks out of that but in a pinch, putting your beer into a modified soda siphon will carbonate it. Once the foam settles, the beer that remains is carbonated.
</shameless self-promotion>

--
Use unmodified commercial kegs in your homebrew setup with this useful guide!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #39
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wanted to thank everybody who responded to this. You all have been very helpful.

I opted for the re-pitching route. I added 1ml of champaign yeast to each bottle about a month ago. I just cracked a test bottle, and low and behold, it was nicely carbonated!

I DID save a bottle untouched, which I plan on opening in several months to see if it would carb up on its own.

Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #40
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I hope you'll post the results when you try the remaining untouched bottles later - I'd like to know how it turns out.

Quick Reply