Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are my options for flat, bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
signmastr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I had a similar problem, not such a big beer though. Store your bottled beer upside down for 2 weeks (in the case). Turn them rightside up for 2 more weeks then try one. Good luck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for your suggestion guys! I really appreciate it. I'll probably give it a little more time, based on the suggestions. After a month or 2 I may repitch as others have suggested.

The "pfft" that I mentioned doesn't seem to have gotten any more forceful since about 2-3 weeks in the bottle, so I'm thinking the yeast are on hiatus.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

There are some things you could try but I don't know if it is worth the effort.

1. Make a Starter.
  2. Open each beer.
  3. Pour some out
  4. Pour some starter in
  5. Re-cap
  1. Make another batch
  2. Make sure it carbonates "High".
  3. Mix the two together when served (I have done this)

I guess you could also run out an buy a "soda maker" and force carbonate them when serving.

Me? I am to lazy to redo work I have already done once so I would be blending a carbonated beer with my low carbonated beer.

DPB

Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Your carbonation won't get better.

Long story short, I've had carb issues on a couple big beers. Reydrate a $1 packet of champagne yeast. I use EC1118. Using 2oz of water let's you squirt 1mL into each of the 12oz bottles.

And here's a tip. With every batch of beer, bottle one beer in a brown plastic (PET) bottle so you can squeeze it to check carb levels. No need to uncap.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..
People Like This 
Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #25
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had a 9.5% stout that took the better part of 4 months to carb up. Seems a little long but I would wait a little longer before you start un-capping your bottles.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #26
hopbrad
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i disagree with posters saying it wont carb. it will. give it 2 more months. put it in a closet forget about it, and youll have some great beer for the 4th of july holiday.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
davemattb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i also made a 10% barleywine that took 4 months until it didn't taste flat. I also was discouraged and looked into adding yeast. Decided to wait and now Im at about 6 months and each bottle seems to get better. Id give it a few more months.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #28
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I'm having the same problem with an IPA that's been bottled for 4.5 weeks. I'm getting a pfft when I open one and very minimal carbonation. I've read on this forum to chill for a week or so to transfer the carbonation from the headspace to the beer. How does that work exactly?

I've tried that a couple of times and got low carbonation after chilling. Now I'm afraid to chill any more cause it will just make the yeast go dormant.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #29
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican521 View Post
I'm having the same problem with an IPA that's been bottled for 4.5 weeks. I'm getting a pfft when I open one and very minimal carbonation. I've read on this forum to chill for a week or so to transfer the carbonation from the headspace to the beer. How does that work exactly?

I've tried that a couple of times and got low carbonation after chilling. Now I'm afraid to chill any more cause it will just make the yeast go dormant.

That suggestion is to make the CO2 in a fully carbed beer absorb into solution so you get lasting effervescence in the glass, CO2 tickling your tongue on each mouthful of beer to the end of the glass, coupled with better head retention.

This isn't going to help an under-carbed beer reach it's potential as fridgeing is going to have the temp of the beer substantially below the optimum for carbing (being around 70f). Your assumption about causing yeast dormancy is not unfounded.

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #30
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Agreed with Ogri. Chilling the beer will get more CO2 into solution, but if it han't been produced yet, you're doing no good. Worse, you are basically pausing any possible fermentation at those temps, which means the beer will never carb up.

Pelican, what temp are your bottles at? You might do well to move them somewhere warmer.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Quick Reply