Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are my options for flat, bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
hellbus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What are my options for flat, bottled beer?

Hello! I tried searching for suggestions, but have not found anything solid (If there is a thread that exists, I apologize in advance)

I brewed a big beer (O.G. 1.10). I ended up leaving it in the primary for 3 months, after which I bottled it (F.G. 1.02). In hind site I should have probably pitched more yeast prior to bottling, but thanks to my inexperience, I did not.

Anyway, It has been bottled since 2/17 and has not carbonated at all. I read through the forums and tried some things, such as moving it to a warmer room (It has been there for about a month now), and occasionally shaking the bottles to try to re-suspend any yeast.

I am convinced that it will not carbonate now, so I am wondering what I can do with it, save for dumping it.

I do not have any kegs or Co2, but if that is my only option, I can procure them.

I am wondering what I can do to end up having it in the bottles, and carbonated nicely (I am trying to avoid buying any new hardware right now).

I saved some of the yeast I used to brew it, but I am unclear on what process I would have to go through to help it.

Would I just make a starter with the yeast I have, slowly pour it in the bottling bucket, pitch some yeast, then re-bottle, or is there a better way? Should I let it sit in a fermenting bucket for a day or so after I pitch more yeast in it?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 343 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 236

The problem may be that you are at 10.5% ABV, which could be close to the upper threshold for your yeast. What yeast did you use?

You may need to add a little yeast of another type to get them to carb up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I figured the higher ABV may be effecting it. I used White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast (WLP570). I picked that specifically because it *should* be better with bigger beers.

Is there a type of yeast that you would suggest to pitch? Once that has been determined, what is the process for re-pitching? Do I just pour it into a bottling bucket, then re-bottle immediately?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Hmmm. WLP570 should be good up to 12%. However, Belgian yeasts have been known to decide to be done, and that's just it.

Do not pour the beer back into the bottling bucket - you'll oxidize them all. Instead, uncap, add a few grams of yeast per bottle, then recap.

Fresh WLP570 might be the very best answer. Barring that, you might go with somethign clean and alcohol tolerant.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Also, do bear in mind that a 10.5% brew is possibly going to take a LONG time to carb up.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took into consideration that it may just be taking a while. How long should I wait before it can be safely assumed that it will not carb up? Right now it has been bottled for almost 2 months, and as of today, there is zero carbonation (Well, besides just a little "pfft" when I open it).

If I did cross that threshold and want to put fresh yeast in it, how would that process work? I'd imagine I'd make a yeast starter, then scoop a little of the slurry in each bottle, then recap. I'd imagine at 10.5% the risk for infection is probably pretty low.

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

my big stouts are usually in the bottle 6 months or so

Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1016 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

hellbus, I'm assuming you did indeed put priming sugar in the batch before bottling? I ask, because you didn't mention it in your first post...

Old 04-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
hellbus, I'm assuming you did indeed put priming sugar in the batch before bottling? I ask, because you didn't mention it in your first post...
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I used 3/4 C. of corn sugar, which I boiled in 2 C of water.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If time doesn't work, another option might be to gently stir some lemon-lime soda in a 1 to 1 ratio into it for some kick-*** summer shandys.

Quick Reply