Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are my options for flat, bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
hellbus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What are my options for flat, bottled beer?

Hello! I tried searching for suggestions, but have not found anything solid (If there is a thread that exists, I apologize in advance)

I brewed a big beer (O.G. 1.10). I ended up leaving it in the primary for 3 months, after which I bottled it (F.G. 1.02). In hind site I should have probably pitched more yeast prior to bottling, but thanks to my inexperience, I did not.

Anyway, It has been bottled since 2/17 and has not carbonated at all. I read through the forums and tried some things, such as moving it to a warmer room (It has been there for about a month now), and occasionally shaking the bottles to try to re-suspend any yeast.

I am convinced that it will not carbonate now, so I am wondering what I can do with it, save for dumping it.

I do not have any kegs or Co2, but if that is my only option, I can procure them.

I am wondering what I can do to end up having it in the bottles, and carbonated nicely (I am trying to avoid buying any new hardware right now).

I saved some of the yeast I used to brew it, but I am unclear on what process I would have to go through to help it.

Would I just make a starter with the yeast I have, slowly pour it in the bottling bucket, pitch some yeast, then re-bottle, or is there a better way? Should I let it sit in a fermenting bucket for a day or so after I pitch more yeast in it?

Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

The problem may be that you are at 10.5% ABV, which could be close to the upper threshold for your yeast. What yeast did you use?

You may need to add a little yeast of another type to get them to carb up.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I figured the higher ABV may be effecting it. I used White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast (WLP570). I picked that specifically because it *should* be better with bigger beers.

Is there a type of yeast that you would suggest to pitch? Once that has been determined, what is the process for re-pitching? Do I just pour it into a bottling bucket, then re-bottle immediately?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Hmmm. WLP570 should be good up to 12%. However, Belgian yeasts have been known to decide to be done, and that's just it.

Do not pour the beer back into the bottling bucket - you'll oxidize them all. Instead, uncap, add a few grams of yeast per bottle, then recap.

Fresh WLP570 might be the very best answer. Barring that, you might go with somethign clean and alcohol tolerant.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Also, do bear in mind that a 10.5% brew is possibly going to take a LONG time to carb up.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took into consideration that it may just be taking a while. How long should I wait before it can be safely assumed that it will not carb up? Right now it has been bottled for almost 2 months, and as of today, there is zero carbonation (Well, besides just a little "pfft" when I open it).

If I did cross that threshold and want to put fresh yeast in it, how would that process work? I'd imagine I'd make a yeast starter, then scoop a little of the slurry in each bottle, then recap. I'd imagine at 10.5% the risk for infection is probably pretty low.

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

my big stouts are usually in the bottle 6 months or so

Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

hellbus, I'm assuming you did indeed put priming sugar in the batch before bottling? I ask, because you didn't mention it in your first post...

Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
hellbus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
hellbus, I'm assuming you did indeed put priming sugar in the batch before bottling? I ask, because you didn't mention it in your first post...
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I used 3/4 C. of corn sugar, which I boiled in 2 C of water.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 42

If time doesn't work, another option might be to gently stir some lemon-lime soda in a 1 to 1 ratio into it for some kick-*** summer shandys.

Quick Reply