What music do you listen to while brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
IF you jam while brewing?

I survive off Pandora.com and punch in Gov't Mule which makes for a real bluesy/jam band station that carries me through my brew day!

for example:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I brew in my kitchen that overlooks the family room I'm usually watching TV. Since Tuesday evening is "my time" thanks to LOST I have been brewing exclusively on Tuesday when the house goes to sleep. It takes too much attention to watch TV though so I usually have to go back and rewatch. I think I'll put on some tunes this time around. I'm pretty sure it will be Jack Johnson, especially since I'm going to clone Kona Brewing Pipeline Porter for the next batch.

I'm a bit country so when I'm brewing I'll either watch some country music videos or set my iTunes to a mix of my favorite country singers and turn it on shuffle. Eric Church, Jamey Johnson, Randy Houser, Josh Thompson, Johnny Cash, just to name a few.

I get down on Pandora too. It really depends on my mood, but it typically revolves around Led Zeppelin. In fact, I have created a "brew playlist" on my iPhone that has a lot of LZ, The Doors, Bob Marley, etc. Music and brewing go hand in hand IMO.

I love death metal :rockin: , but.... I listen to more upbeat stuff like sublime, slightly stoopid, reggae. Just in case the yeasties are listening....:fro:

I actually take it one step further.

SKB = Steve Kimock Band
SKB also = the 'name' of my brewery. Small Kind Brewery.

I name my beers after Steve Kimock songs or puns of them.

Rabbits on Extacy IPA
Unlce Elmers Pale
Bad Hair Brown

My co-worker does the same with his, but he is a Zappa Head. He has a lot more options to play with.

He just made a Stinkfoot Ale. His labels are a crack up.

Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic, Great American Taxi, Leftover Salmon, with some traditional Bluegrass spinkled in.

If the SWMBO is out of the house then I blast the 80's Scottish rock groups The Skids and Big Country especially if I am making a British style ale. For wheat beers I put on John Hiatt.

It's cool to see how many metal heads are here. Metal for me too. Any one of the following will do:

Pantera
Korn
Lamb of God
Devildriver
Sevendust
Hed PE
Metallica
Many Many more

Sorry to rain on the metal love fest, but my brew day usually includes Radiohead, The Beatles, Arcade Fire, Blitzen Trapper, and Joy Division. :)

pandora is the best and its on 99% of the time i'm at home and awake.

ryan bingham
everlast
govt mule
fred eaglesmith
phish
dead
cross canadian ragweed
hayes carll
the hangdogs
lost immigrants
yonder mtn

and all kinds of other stuff

Beck, Radiohead, Reverend Horton Heat, Morphine, and Sonic Youth.

Swmbo does not like most of my music or the smell of boiling wort. When I brew she leaves and I get to crank the stereo. It does not get better than that.
:rockin:

I listen to Chopin and Liszt.
That way, I can make a chopin liszt (shopping list) for the items I need for the next few brews.

-a.

i normally type (Metal) in pandora radio. sometimes turn to the metal channel on my tv got a wicked surround sound for my pc and tv so either way..

Bob Marley,sublime,Aswad,Matisyaho,the specials,madness Ilike the heavy stuff to but i feel more positive when s##t goes wrong if the mellow stuffs cranking:fro: kinda lika good chee;)

Lots and lots of Beatles on brew day. However, if brew days happen to fall back-to-back, then I crank a little of everything that second day. Whatevers on my Ipod...Govt Mule, Willie Nelson, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Yes, Black Crowes, you name it!

Generally music fall into one of two sections:

1)Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, etc.

2)Daft Punk, Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, etc.

I'm old school and listen to the regular radio. I tend to change channels a lot though and switch between Alt Rock, Classic Rock, New Country, Classic Country, Bluegrass, and whatever else is on.

sp1365...since you're a Flogging Molly fan, do ever listen to Rev. Peytons Big Damn Band? They tour together quite a lot. Rev Peytons Big Damn Band is greatness!

sp1365...since you're a Flogging Molly fan, do ever listen to Rev. Peytons Big Damn Band? They tour together quite a lot. Rev Peytons Big Damn Band is greatness!

Nope never heard of them, though now that I have I am going to look them up. :mug:

Back