Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What method do you use to clean/sanitize your beer bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
abefroman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default What method do you use to clean/sanitize your beer bottles?

What method do you use to clean/sanitize your beer bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefroman View Post
What method do you use to clean/sanitize your beer bottles?
If I have to delable, I soak bottles in oxyclean and warm water overnight. Then I scrub the outsides with a sponge and rise with my garden hose. If I'm not delabling, I rinse the bottle out with very hot water a few times (I like to do this as I drink so the yeast doesn't get old and gross in the bottle).

I let these dry and then store in closed boxes inside bags so they don't get dusty.

I sanitize with a squirt bottle of star san. Just squirt a few times into the bottles and around the rim.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

To clean (after emptying): OxiClean Free and hot water in a 5-gallon bucket. Soak for 1-2 nights to remove residue and labels.

To sanitize (before filling): StarSan in a Vinator. 4 pumps in each bottle and then hang them on a sanitized bottle tree.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I soak in one-step scrub, rinse even tho one-step is no rinse, then use star San in a avvinatore (made by ferrarri, goes on top of their bottling tree), to sanitize before placing on the bottles on the bottling tree. Caps get soaked in the avvinatore after I sanitize the bottles. I'm actually soaking my Samuel Smith's imperial pint bottles as I peruse HBT to bottle my wife's brown ale in tonight.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
BrewForMe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I always rinse right after I empty them, then before bottling day, a ride through the sanitize cycle in the dishwasher and a skinny dip in starsan (the bottles, not me) and ready for some fresh brew

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewForMe
I always rinse right after I empty them, then before bottling day, a ride through the sanitize cycle in the dishwasher and a skinny dip in starsan (the bottles, not me) and ready for some fresh brew

+1 IMO rinsing right after pouring your beer out of the bottle is the single most important thing you can do to begin the cleaning process. This way you don't have to worry about getting that yeast cake out of the bottle.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Slurm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rinse with water after emptying, leave on counter until I get tired of them building up.

Soak in a sink full of hot water + Oxyclean to remove labels / any organic gunk, rinse with hot water, drain upside down in the dish drainer. I can soak 24+ bottles in my sink at one time, and 30-60 minutes soak is usually plenty. Sometimes the bottles need a quick wipe-down with the rough side of a sponge to remove the last of the glue residue. I have only occasionally needed to take the bottle brush to the inside of bottles to get em clean.

Sanitize by dunking in a sink full of hot StarSan, swishing and pouring out a couple times (dunk, bubble bubble bubble, pour, repeat), and draining upside down in the dish drainer.

I stash boxes of clean bottles and sanitize just before filling. I'll even dunk the dish drainer in the sink-o-starsan before I start rinsing the bottles to make sure it is sanitary It takes me 5-10 minutes to sanitize enough bottles for a batch of beer (2 dish drainers full of wet bottles is usually enough)

Old 07-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Btw, love the name. The Sausage King of Chicago!

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

RINSE IMEADIATLY after drinking, then on bottling day I put them in the dish washer with no soap to sanitize.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Changeduser123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbou View Post
To clean (after emptying): OxiClean Free and hot water in a 5-gallon bucket. Soak for 1-2 nights to remove residue and labels.

To sanitize (before filling): StarSan in a Vinator. 4 pumps in each bottle and then hang them on a sanitized bottle tree.
+1.

When I started brewing, I did not have enough dark bottle so I ended up using Corona bottles. In those clear bottles, you can see even the smallest amount of residue. This is how I realized that rinsing just after drinking is definitely not enough: the bottom of the bottle would be fine, but some residue would always remain in the bottle neck. This is why even if I quickly rinse right after drinking, I still soak overnight in oxyclean before bottling.

Mathieu

Holiday 5 cu feet red keezer

Quick Reply