Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What a Mess!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default What a Mess!!!!

img_0749.jpg
img_0750.jpg
Octane IPA ....I opened it up to take a gravity reading. This was no surprise because a few days ago my 3 piece airlock was over flowing. The OG was 1.068 and the current reading I got was 1.018, thats only about 6.5 ABV. This should be over 7% ABV so I'm hoping it will drop a few more gravity points. It's been in primary for only 8 days. Probably another week or more in primary should hopefully drop the gravity some, correct?

I will be racking to secondary on top of oak chips after another week or so in primary. Will the yeast ferment on the oak?

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 463 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Yup, some processes of brewing are not pretty!

Keep that beer in primary for 2-3 weeks to finish and begin clearing. You don't take the beer out of primary until you are sure it's done meaning no changes in gravity.

Then rack into not oak in secondary. The beer will continue to clear and take up the oak flavors. As long as FG was verified before racking there should be no further fermentation occurring in secondary and that's the way it should be

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Yup, some processes of brewing are not pretty!

Keep that beer in primary for 2-3 weeks to finish and begin clearing. You don't take the beer out of primary until you are sure it's done meaning no changes in gravity.

Then rack into not oak in secondary. The beer will continue to clear and take up the oak flavors. As long as FG was verified before racking there should be no further fermentation occurring in secondary and that's the way it should be
I am not in a rush with this beer for sure. I only plan on using secondary for about 2 weeks, so the longer in primary the better. I just bottled a 5 gal batch of Autumn Amber Ale, so I have about 50 beers to get through before worrying about this one

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Quick Reply