Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What made you start brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

Default What made you start brewing?

I'm just curious to see what made people decide to start brewing beer in the first place. Did you know someone who brewed? Did you drive past your LHBS one day and think, "I could do that!" Was it a Mr Beer Christmas present?

For me, believe it or not, it was quitting smoking. As you probably know, smoking numbs your sense of taste. After I quit smoking, BMC beers just weren't cutting it anymore; I needed more flavor. I tried some of the Michelob ambers, and they were okay... far from great. For a while I drank Guinness, but bottles and (*shudder*) cans were terrible compared to Guinness on tap. What I needed was a Kegerator, so I could get that same taste at home. I surfed around the internet for a while shopping for one, but at 500+ dollars, it just didn't seem worth it. A co-worker told me it would be cheaper to just build my own from a used fridge or freezer, so I thought I'd check it out. "Well, hey," I thought, "why stop with the keg? Why not make the contents as well?" I ordered the Mr Beer kit online, but quickly realized that 2.5 gallons of beer wasn't going to last long in my household. So here I am now, still completely new to the hobby, waiting for my tax return check to come in so I can order my real brewing kit, and get started for real.

Until then, I'll just have to lurk the forums and sample the joys of homebrewing vicariously through the seasoned vets here at HBT.

So, what made you start homebrewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It started in July 2006 when I decided to pick up a Mr Beer kit just for the heck of it. Living in Hawaii, the refills were non-existent unless you wanted to spend gazillions in shipping. Next batch was a small extract batch in the Mr. Beer Keg. By October of that year I found HBT, and had my 5 gallon kit at the end of November. Started AG in 2008, and spend way too much time thinking about beer, planning batches in my head, and looking for new commercial beers to try.

I do it for the process as much as the end result. It's fascinating that I can take a bunch of dried grains, add some water, yeast, etc.... and come out with a product that is just as good or better than what I buy.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Maveric777
Recipes 

For me it was simple... I have a friend that has been brewing for years. I "Love" his brew and constantly bugged the crap out of him to make more. He got smart on me and started suggesting I make my own..... The stingy bastard...lol

So, I gave it a shot and find I love the tinkering, experimenting, brewing, etc... almost as much fun as kicking back drinking it. Now when my wife mentions my homebrew I tell her "Don't blame me.... It's Kelly's fault!".....

On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter

Old 01-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It was either this or philandery. I got bored with philandery so I started making beer as a hobby.

Honestly, it was because I was bored and my ex said I needed a hobby. My stepdad homebrews, so I had him take me to the LHBS to buy an equipment kit and supplies. After that I was insatiably hooked.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric777 View Post
For me it was simple... I have a friend that has been brewing for years. I "Love" his brew and constantly bugged the crap out of him to make more. He got smart on me and started suggesting I make my own..... The stingy bastard...lol
Lucky man. I wish I knew a single other person in my area that homebrews. I know there's a lot to learn from books and HBT, but it feels like so much more could be learned from knowing other people who brew. Even the closest LHBS to me is about a 4 hour drive... Ahh, the pros and cons to living in a small town.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
TampaTim
Recipes 

Sipping coffee one day at my desk. I said to myself, "I want to brew my own beer." Punched it into Google. Found this site. A week later I was unwrapping my equipment from Mid-West.

Here I am, barely two months into it. Three batches (plus one 1 gal of Apfelwein) later. Two of them All-Grain.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
velotech
Recipes 

In college, I had to complete a strategic management class. One of the companies we had to analyze was a microbrewery. This required much research, so we visited quite a few local microbreweries and brewpubs. I learned that 1) brewing people were some of the coolest and nicest group of people to hang out with and get to know, 2) brewing was not as complicated as I initially thought, and 3) I LOVE hand crafted brews! I was hooked and knew I was going to homebrew for the rest of my life. I too am fascinated by the process and still love learning about brewing every single day.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Wifey got tired of hearing me tell her how much i missed English beer, so she bought me a Mr Beer kit thinking it was somehow similar. This fired me up to search out how to make what I actually liked. The rest is history

Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just basically always had this idea since I was little that I wanted to learn to make alcohol someday. Probably started with the desire to make moonshine when I was little from watching Dukes of Hazzard or something like that. Anyway, I'm not completely sure where I got the idea that it was something that I wanted to do - I just like to make things, do it myself you know ?

So a couple years ago I was on some website and saw an ad for this kit ( Coopers Microbrewery Kit ) so I bookmarked the page and thought about it for a whlie and then one payday I broke down and ordered it. Well I couldn't wait for it to be delivered so I went out the same day and found my local homebrew store and bought a couple of buckets and a carboy and a couple of extract kits.

My first beer was great, I really liked it a lot. The second couple of beers I made I think got fermented a little hot so the alcohol in them seemed pretty strong, and I would have got discouraged but Evan and Yooperbrew sent me some good homebrews in the beer swap so I figured I could do it, I'd just need to figure a way to control the temperature and be more careful with the sanitation.

Now, I'm a little bored with brewing actually. What I mean is that I'm not all hot to try brewing new and different beers anymore, I have enough knowledge about how its done that I can keep my kegs filled up with what I like to drink.

These days its a lot more about the drinking and less about the brewing. Brewing I kind of view as a necessary chore, so I'm not as inclined to spend all day brewing an All Grain beer anymore. I still do an All Grain sometimes, but if I do I'm more than likely going to do an All Grain and a couple of extract batches all at the same time and get it over and done with for a while. Don't brew nearly as much as I used too, just enough to keep the kegs full.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
AmberChris
Recipes 

I drink way too much beer to keep buying 6,12,18, and 24 packs as well as pitchers. So I did a little research on the internet made a little 100 dollar investment and I am now making 5 gallons of beer for 30 dollars or less if my buddies wanna pitch in. I love this hobby.

Quick Reply