Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What kind of water to use for extact brewing, spring/distilled/filtered?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What kind of water to use for extact brewing, spring/distilled/filtered?

I'm wondering what water is best for extract brewing? I've gotten a strange taste out of two of my three batches ive made, and I am trying to eliminate possible causes of contamination, and or off flavors.

I am considering using botled spring or distilled water, because I have well water, and I dont know if that in itself can be a cause of something screwy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddyb View Post
I'm wondering what water is best for extract brewing? I've gotten a strange taste out of two of my three batches ive made, and I am trying to eliminate possible causes of contamination, and or off flavors.

I am considering using botled spring or distilled water, because I have well water, and I dont know if that in itself can be a cause of something screwy.
Yes, the well water can be the cause of something "screwy". Where we live, the water has tons of iron, which causes terrible (blood) tasting beer! I never use well water to brew.

Spring water or distilled water is fine. Whichever is cheaper for you will work.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
RedHouse
Recipes 

My well water also has high iron...almost 2ppm. I have brewed two extract brews using softened water, and they taste great. I have three AG brews that I brewed using non-softened water. Hope they don't taste like blood!....the non-softened water tastes great though, and it's clear. It's actually the best drinking water we've had in any place we have lived.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used some really hard water with no problems. I'm pretty sure if it tastes good enough to drink it won't screw up your beer.

J Crunch

Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Listen to the Brewstrong Water episodes. I'm sure they cover this.

Brew Strong: Why Adjust Your Water
Brew Strong: Water II - How to Adjust Your Water
Brew Strong: Water III - Adjusting Water to Styles
Brew Strong: Water IV - The Final Answers

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 12-02-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The only way I'd use well water is to run it through a multi-stage RO filter unit. If you rather buy water, I'd use 100% spring for darker beers and 50% spring, 50% distilled for lighter beers.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Chaddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My water looks and tastes fine when I drink it, but I have never had it tested, so I dont know what may be lurking in the water. The one batch Ive gotten to turn out was a java stout, and that tastes delicious after a month in the bottle.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #8
RedHouse
Recipes 

I've had my water tested, and beside the high iron...it's clean. pH is 7.42, no bacteria, and fairly soft @ 84 mg/l. It's going to have to do for now, and I hope there is no funky off-tastes in my AG brews.

At some point in the future, I may look into adjusting it for brewing.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #9
sunblock
Recipes 

When I was on crappy city water I always used spring water from wal-mart. worked well... I have well water now, it tastes great and makes great beer. Never had it tested but never thought I needed to. I usually throw a gallon of bleach in the well about once a year, just on the recommendation of other homeowners .. we must have a large well because even the day of adding the bleach, it is not detectable in the water.

Formulating : Below ground IPA
Fermenting: Riley red rye ale 10 gallons
Kegged : McGrittys scotch IPA, Bitter, Dumb Blonde

Old 12-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I use spring water. The county water here (Delaware County) is perfectly safe but not very good tasting.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Quick Reply