Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What kind of water to use for extact brewing, spring/distilled/filtered?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What kind of water to use for extact brewing, spring/distilled/filtered?

I'm wondering what water is best for extract brewing? I've gotten a strange taste out of two of my three batches ive made, and I am trying to eliminate possible causes of contamination, and or off flavors.

I am considering using botled spring or distilled water, because I have well water, and I dont know if that in itself can be a cause of something screwy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4784 Times on 3479 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddyb View Post
I'm wondering what water is best for extract brewing? I've gotten a strange taste out of two of my three batches ive made, and I am trying to eliminate possible causes of contamination, and or off flavors.

I am considering using botled spring or distilled water, because I have well water, and I dont know if that in itself can be a cause of something screwy.
Yes, the well water can be the cause of something "screwy". Where we live, the water has tons of iron, which causes terrible (blood) tasting beer! I never use well water to brew.

Spring water or distilled water is fine. Whichever is cheaper for you will work.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
RedHouse
Recipes 

My well water also has high iron...almost 2ppm. I have brewed two extract brews using softened water, and they taste great. I have three AG brews that I brewed using non-softened water. Hope they don't taste like blood!....the non-softened water tastes great though, and it's clear. It's actually the best drinking water we've had in any place we have lived.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used some really hard water with no problems. I'm pretty sure if it tastes good enough to drink it won't screw up your beer.

J Crunch

Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Listen to the Brewstrong Water episodes. I'm sure they cover this.

Brew Strong: Why Adjust Your Water
Brew Strong: Water II - How to Adjust Your Water
Brew Strong: Water III - Adjusting Water to Styles
Brew Strong: Water IV - The Final Answers

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 12-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The only way I'd use well water is to run it through a multi-stage RO filter unit. If you rather buy water, I'd use 100% spring for darker beers and 50% spring, 50% distilled for lighter beers.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
Chaddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My water looks and tastes fine when I drink it, but I have never had it tested, so I dont know what may be lurking in the water. The one batch Ive gotten to turn out was a java stout, and that tastes delicious after a month in the bottle.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
RedHouse
Recipes 

I've had my water tested, and beside the high iron...it's clean. pH is 7.42, no bacteria, and fairly soft @ 84 mg/l. It's going to have to do for now, and I hope there is no funky off-tastes in my AG brews.

At some point in the future, I may look into adjusting it for brewing.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
sunblock
Recipes 

When I was on crappy city water I always used spring water from wal-mart. worked well... I have well water now, it tastes great and makes great beer. Never had it tested but never thought I needed to. I usually throw a gallon of bleach in the well about once a year, just on the recommendation of other homeowners .. we must have a large well because even the day of adding the bleach, it is not detectable in the water.

Formulating : Below ground IPA
Fermenting: Riley red rye ale 10 gallons
Kegged : McGrittys scotch IPA, Bitter, Dumb Blonde

Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I use spring water. The county water here (Delaware County) is perfectly safe but not very good tasting.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Quick Reply